Upcoming Intel IGP Driver to Boost Performance by 40%

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
AMD and NVIDIA are the undisputed champions where serious gaming graphics are concerned, but Intel has consistently been making improvements to its integrated solutions that aim to deliver a real option to those who are content running their games with modest resolutions, medium detail levels and without AA. According to a reason claim, things are looking to get even better soon, all with the help of an improved driver.

intel_40percent_igp_kitguru_090111.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Well then, this could be awesome for my laptop seeing as right now it can run NOTHING. (that's a lie but not much of one, it can run a couple things but nothing even reasonably intense.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Woah...nice. My girlfriend has been wanting to get into gaming, but her laptop has the Intel HD graphics that suck for gaming. Hopefully this will enable her to play something more recent!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm going to call shenanigans on this. 40% because of a driver? Unless they had trained monkeys writing their drivers before, how was something not worked into the existing drivers from the get go? I can understand 5, 10, even 20% but 40%?

Colour me skeptical.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Intel integrated graphics indeed suck for games! And the folks at Future Shop and the like will try to tell you otherwise!

I've never seen them offer anything better than NVIDIA or AMD's last-generation mid-range bargain!

marfig

No ROM battery
It's interesting that you posted about this Rob. The ongoing Folding@Home discussion on the Off Topic forum, spurred me yesterday to try and take a look at the reasons behind Intel staying behind on the graphics processing arena. This is particularly interesting because AMD very successfully moved into it.

Some web searching -- and a lot of reading weird or inflammatory stuff I'd rather hadn't -- I finally came to what I believe is the meat of it; the acquisitions that took place starting in the mid 00s. Specifically AMD grabbing ATI in 2006 before Intel did, and Nvidia buying Aegeia in 2008, leaving Intel with Havok for leftovers. Which Intel eventually bought.

It's good to see Intel getting into the game, even if this late. It's particularly good because Intel does bring good innovation with its IGP solution, catering for an entry-level market that has seen little love. If GMA HD can come to a respectable performance level, it's not difficult to imagine a HTPCs, office desktops, and other designs being completely stripped of the need to have a dedicated GPU card or chip. I dunno about anyone else, but this would be great!

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I find it hard to believe Intel could magically discover a better way of writing the drivers in order to create a 40% performance boost in multiple games.Even the next generation of Intel's IGP may only just achieve that 40% performance increase

No offense, but I'd question what "calculating" they were leaving out to achieve this boost... is image quality 100% identical between drivers? Is all the same stuff being rendered in both drivers? That I'm going to wait and see on...