Ubunu 7.10

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
It should load fine on you're new rigs (dual Boot) without to much problems..............;) If you don't mind dual booting that is.

I'm still sort of new at this Linux thing, but if a nasty old fart like myself can figure it out, most everyone should beable to as well......:)

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The new Ubuntu 8.04 Beta is out as of today, the Alpha 6 release was real stable from what I understand, so if you don't mind playing with Beta software, you might want to give it a try.

I'm going to download several different types of it tomorrow while I'm in town after my doctors visit. I'm heading over to the sister-in-laws to work on her computer and DL everything I can while I'm there..............:) I was going to just take a 4 gig flash drive, but then I figured I'd get the Vista SP1 as long as I'm at it, so I decided to take a 80 gig external HD................;)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/Beta

Introduction to Ubuntu 8.04 Beta

The Ubuntu developers are moving very quickly to bring you the absolute latest and greatest software the open source community has to offer. This is the Ubuntu 8.04 beta release, which brings a host of excellent new features.

Note: This is still a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released in April 2008.

For Kubuntu and Kubuntu KDE 4 Remix see HardyHeron/Beta/Kubuntu

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, so I'm not an Ubuntu fan. I admit this. But am I the only one who thinks Hardy Heron is a ridiculous codename?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Well, I must admit that whoever is naming these releases must be on some heavy drugs, but in the end it really doesn't matter as long as everything works..............;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
54.2 kbs download speed.....3 hrs and 22 min to go
From the server
Gotta be a slow server

Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The server has to be super loaded right now, I know a ton of people that have been waiting for this release, might want to try a different mirror if there is one up yet. I tried late last night and couldn't even connect it was so busy.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I tried DL it several times today while I was in town and was getting the same results as you got (I was on a 6 meg connection), so needless to say I didn't get the DL as I didn't have enough time to sit around and wait for it to finish. Maybe my son will have better luck and can bring it out with him tomorrow (if the roads are still open around his place).

slugbug

Coastermaker
Installed 7.10 64bit on my Opteron 165 machine to try out the Linux SMP folding client. Does Linux have something resembling the windows task manager? I see that it's folding by checking the log file, but I have no idea how to shut down the folding client when I need to shut down the computer.

I can't get my XP machine to see the samba shares on the Linux machine either, so I cannot set up FahMon to monitor the folding progress on the Linux rig.

I'm a Linux NOOB!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have no sweet clue what GNOME includes as a task manager, to be honest. Under KDE, there is a program called KSysGuard that works well, but as for a GNOME-equivalent, I have no idea. All of this information could be gathered through the command-line, though.

To see what application is using the most resources, just type top. The applications in use will be sorted from top to bottom in terms of what's using the most resources. RES corresponds to how much physical RAM is used, while VIRT is how much RAM and SWAP is used, combined together.

To view all of the applications being used, you can use ps. To view ALL applications that are in use, run ps ax, which will show you a rather sizable list of what's being used right now. To see if a specific application is being used, such as Firefox, you can run a command like ps ax | grep firefox which will filter out just Firefox and related components.

If you need to forcibly kill a task for some reason, note the PID to the left.
rwilliams@techgage ~ $ ps ax | grep amarokapp
4690 ? SLl 4:20 amarokapp
6282 ? S 1:08 amarokapp
11323 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --colour=auto amarokapp
In a case like that, I'd have to kill both 4690 and 6282 in order to fully terminate the application. The last one listed is just the command that was just run, and it ceases to exist after it's printed out. To kill an application like this, you'd run kill -9 4690 6282 and say goodbye. Unlike Windows, killing an application like this under Linux actually works all of the time (unless it's somehow a zombie which happens very rarely).

Attachments

• top_032408.png
    top_032408.png
    446 KB · Views: 420
  • psax_032408.png
    psax_032408.png
    430 KB · Views: 443

slugbug

Coastermaker
Found it under System/Administration/System Monitor and then the processes tab.
I still don't know why my samba shares aren't working though :(

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Live CD knome

Thought I'd try the ram use of linux OS Knome....just to see without actually loading the OS

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Using knome right now....just from RAM
This is slick lightning on melted butter

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage: