Ubunu 7.10

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Tried to load onto a drive today.
No other drives connected.
The drive was pre formatted.
I got to the point of video drivers and just used the VESA generic drivers.
Then it seemed to be loading and got stuck on the 3rd part.
trying remember which it was

Was it waiting for a responce?
Some input?

I didnt see this when I tried to install
http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-171001.html
no menu like this.....just DOS looking prompts

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You didn't see the desktop at all?

That version of Ubuntu might not have the appropriate drivers for NVIDIA 8-series cards. It's kind of difficult for me to help here since I am not familiar with how Ubuntu handles things, nor do I have a copy here.

If you used the VESA drivers, things should have worked fine, though, so I am kind of confused. Do you actually get a prompt though, that you can type? Or does it just stall forever?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
7.10 doesn't install very well at all with the new 8800 Nvidia cards at all, you'll need to go into the safe video mode to get it to install and then use a program called Envy to install the proper Nvidia drivers. I'm sure that there's other ways to get the drivers to load, but I don't know all the line inputs and a Linux friend could do it either. The Envy program is the only way I could get it to load properly.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You didn't see the desktop at all?

That version of Ubuntu might not have the appropriate drivers for NVIDIA 8-series cards. It's kind of difficult for me to help here since I am not familiar with how Ubuntu handles things, nor do I have a copy here.

If you used the VESA drivers, things should have worked fine, though, so I am kind of confused. Do you actually get a prompt though, that you can type? Or does it just stall forever?
Yup, it stalled
I'll try again later tonight

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
7.10 doesn't install very well at all with the new 8800 Nvidia cards at all, you'll need to go into the safe video mode to get it to install and then use a program called Envy to install the proper Nvidia drivers. I'm sure that there's other ways to get the drivers to load, but I don't know all the line inputs and a Linux friend could do it either. The Envy program is the only way I could get it to load properly.
I'll try that....it looks pretty kewl, from what I saw on the search

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
When you boot to the CD, go to the second option down on the menu, it should allow you to go to the main desktop and install the OS.

dsc00286gi7.jpg

dsc00288wp2.jpg

After you get the OS install and reboot, do a search for Envy, or simply go to the addy shown in the pic.........:eek:

dsc00289ng5.jpg

dsc00291oe0.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
(Didn't realize sbrehm was making a response. Try his solution, it's far easier ;-))

If the installer halts entirely, it might be somewhat of a problem. But, chances are it doesn't, so you can still access a secondary terminal to manually fix the problem.

If you are interested in fixing it manually, I'll explain how I do it here. The problem is that things might be a little different in Ubuntu, but my instructions should work with most distros.

The goal is editing the xorg.conf file to force the VESA driver. Entering a second terminal should be as easy as hitting CTRL+ALT+F2. If F2 sticks you on the same screen, try F3.

You should be at a command prompt. You can edit the file with vi. If vi doesn't work, 'vim' should.
techgage rwilliams # vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
That should load the file to edit. You then need to scroll down until you reach a code block similar to this.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8800 GT"
EndSection
Chances are good that "nvidia" will be "nv" on your system, which is the problem. To edit, hit the "I" key, and change "nv" to "vesa". Once done, hit ESC to finish up editing. Type these two characters together, which will be displayed at the bottom, ":w" and then enter. It should say that the file was written. To exit, simply ":q" and you should be back at the prompt.

Back at the prompt, you will need to manually kill X and GDM. I don't have GDM installed on this machine, but rather KDM, but the process of ending one is identical.
techgage rwilliams # ps ax | grep kdm
2558 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --colour=auto kdm
5882 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm
The first one listed is the command we just ran, while the actual executable is /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm. To kill it, "kill -9 5882". The program ID won't be the same on your machine, so essentially it's "kill -9 ID#".

Run the same command to see if X is running, and if it is, kill it the same way.
techgage rwilliams # ps ax | grep X
2570 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --colour=auto X
5668 ? Ss 0:00 /sbin/mount.smbfs //tg_nas/Volume_1 /mnt/nas -o rw password XXXXXXXX
5672 ? Ss 0:00 /sbin/mount.smbfs //wl700ge/MYSHARE1 /mnt/router -o rw password XXXXXXXX
5940 tty7 SLs+ 141:27 /usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-4W6hvw​
At this point, you can probably start GDM again without issue, by simply typing in "gdm". At that point, you should be at a login screen or at the GNOME desktop. At this point you could probably install, as long as the entire boot process finished up.

I still find it insane that Ubuntu and others don't natively support the NVIDIA 8-series cards by default. Fedora 8 is the only recent commercial distro I have used that booted up with an 8-series card without issue. I realize this is done due to the driver being proprietary, but damn. This kind of hassle for the normal Joe would no doubt scare them off.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Mucho Gracias....both of you.

I'll shut down after I print this and try again

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Fiddle Sticks

Just in case it was the PATA drive, I tried 5 different ones.
All set to Master
clean and pre formatted
I selected the generic display drivers ( VESA )

Tried some of the command lines that Rob sent
I never was one for writing in DOS , maybe years ago at DOS2.0
Still got this.
I must be having a brain fart or something here

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So... did you or did you not get into the desktop environment? The first screenshot leads me to believe you did. If you did, you could just install and worry about the graphics afterwards.

If could also be a problem with the monitor as well. If you want to see if your hardware is compatible, you could try downloading SabayonLinux and booting up with that:

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Might have something to do with having a SLi setup as well.

I remember getting that waring one time though, I just clicked continue and it went to the desktop and I was able to install.

You also might want to try setting your system back to system defaults as well, Ubuntu didn't like my system at all with custom OC settings.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I guess I should make that last statement a bit clearer......;)

Set the rig to system defaults while installing (which you should really do anyways), and then OC the crap out of it after everything is all setup and running.

My little ole 3.7 OC works just as well on Ubuntu as it does in Windows..................:)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I guess I should make that last statement a bit clearer......;)

Set the rig to system defaults while installing (which you should really do anyways), and then OC the crap out of it after everything is all setup and running.

My little ole 3.7 OC works just as well on Ubuntu as it does in Windows..................:)
Thanks,
I'll try this on the AMD machine, I have tweaked this one too much to change settings. plus the AMD machine has 8600GT GPU.

THanks a lot guys

Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
My MSI board has a few features that makes resetting the bios a problem free option, I can save some of my different OC's in the bios so when I'm done working at stock settings, all I need to do is select the OC I want and it's all reloaded, pretty nice really, makes life a bunch easier.

I also don't have to go through a boot loader if I have the OS's loaded on different drives, at the boot screen, I only have to hit F11 and up pops a menu for whick drive I want to boot to, including any flash drives I have connected at the time.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
YEah, I can save 4 profiles on the EVGA 780i board.
Tonight I'll set up the AMD machine with the m2n32 Asus board and try the setup again.......I also have the Gentoo amd64 iso, I might try as well if Ubuntu gives me more problems.

I just wanted to see a different OS system.....

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't recommend Gentoo unless you have plans to sit and read through related documents. For a first-time Linux user, I'd recommend something else first, then move to Gentoo later if it interests you.