Turns out my car is worth more than I thought...

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Alright so I have a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SE. It's green, been used pretty much daily since it was bought. My grandfather bought it brand new, used it and gave it to me when I got my learner's permit at 16 years old, not too long after he put a brand new transmission and suspension in it. Oh and my grandfather is a retired mechanic, so he kept it in really good condition. Free car ftw.

Anyway...I need a new car. This one's got an engine issue that neither me or my dad have the time to fix. I could give it to my grandfather and let him fix it (he's bored at home with nothing to do, he rebuilt my dad's jeep engine for him. Heh.) but that would leave me without a car, and both my parents have active schedules. My work shifts always change so it just wouldn't work for me to not have a car. So here's the pros of the car:

Pretty good engine, 3.8L V6. Same exact one my mom's 2001 Chevy Impala LS has.

A/C, heat work perfectly.

19MPG city/24MPG Highway (My grandfather claims this was higher than when he had it) (Also only gets that when the engine's working right, more on that in the cons)

All the little stuff (windshield wipers, power lock doors (what car DOESN'T have this nowadays?) windows work fine, tilt steering, REALLY roomy.

Aftermarket stereo head unit/front/rear speakers w/ Amplifier wiring already run to the trunk (All Pioneer equipment).

Now for the cons...
Slight oil leak loses about 1/2Qt/month. nothing big.

Driver's rear strut needs replacing (squeaks and bangs when turning or on bumpy road)

Driver's side front brakes and rotor need replacing. I bought Duralast stuff last time I replaced these....so I get them for free. Lifetime warranty ftw.

And the big one...the engine issue. I think I have narrowed it down to the Intake Plenum Gasket, which I have already bought. To replace the gasket you have to take apart the whole fuel injection assembly, and neither me or my dad feel confident enough to do it, much less have the time to do it. Anyway, here's what the issue is. Whenever I'm driving for a while, you know 30 minutes and up, if I try to push the car into passing gear, or simply accelerate (after said driving for a while) the engine start's acting like it's choking for fuel. It'll rev, stop, rev, stop, rev, stop, until I let off the gas. Problem is, once this starts, it keeps happening until I'm going too slow to drive on the road and I have to pull over. If I shut the car off and let it cool down, I can drive it again for a while before it acts up again. Now, my engine is NOT overheating. Antifreeze level is fine, temps are fine, and my radiator works fine. My theory is that since the plenum gasket is leaking (mechanic told me this during a routine check-up while getting my tires changed), once the car gets warm...the gaps or cracks in the gasket become bigger and my engine is sucking in air into the cylinders. If you know a good bit about cars, this is a pretty simple fix if you have the time. I only live about 7-8 minutes from where I work, and if it's cool enough on Sundays I can drive 20 minutes to church and 20 minutes back without issue.

Alright...back to what the title says :p I got home tonight (about an hour ago actually) to check the KBB value of my car, since 3 of my co-workers showed interest in buying my car from me (even with said issues) once I get another one. I told them, you know maybe ~$300 as-is with these issues. I go to the KBB's website, customize my car (issues and all, AND with 288,000 miles) and click see value. Trade-in value: $658. Private party value: $1,387. I was like WTFBBQ NO WAY. Went through the customization again. Same result. I looked at my screen like this... :confused: then after a few seconds...it turned to this: :D:D:D

After texting one of my co-workers this...he offered me $700 for it. That's about what I was thinking of selling it for...because seriously, all those issues and it's worth nearly $1,400? Even if the KBB does say that, I'd still feel like I was ripping someone off. I told him I wouldn't sell it for more than $1,000 and he offered me $700. I may take it, but I need to get another car first. Looking at an Acura Integra or a mid-90's Honda Civic.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Go Civic. LOADS of parts floating around for them so do it yourself driveway mechanics should save some cash.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That was a fun read :)

My sister's first car was a Bonneville. You aren't kidding when you say roomy. The thing was a tank.

You can't go wrong with a Civic. As Optix said, there are parts everywhere. I'm partial to Mazdas so I would like to suggest an early 6. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I concur on the Civic; there's just a boatload of them around so parts are plentiful.

Glad your ride was worth more than you thought, though. If only that happened a lot more :D

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
What do you guys think of the Smart car? People usually just laugh at them.

If you live in a crowded city its an awesome ride for parking. I cant say I am as worried about accidents as most people are. For various reasons of course but I always joke it'll just bounce off into the distance like a soccer ball.

I am 6 foot tall and used to drive a 1966 Austin Healey Sprite MK III I have no problems with a small car. I bought a miata cover for that and it was too damn big. The car is of course longer than a smart. But to put it in perspective your feet run along side the motor/trans so in a side impact your phuct.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What do you guys think of the Smart car? People usually just laugh at them.

My problem wasn't the size, or the looks, or anything about the concept... the issue with the SMART car was that they were built pretty poorly for the price. Yer better off buying something else given the maintenance and reliability issues that await ya down the line with one.