To Celebrate Battlefield's 10th Anniversary, You Can Score BF3 for $10

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Still don't own Battlefield 3? What on earth would it take? EA to sell the game for $10??? Oh, really? Well you're in luck! To celebrate Battlefield's 10-year anniversary, all of the games in the series, sans DLC for the latest game, is on sale for a cool $10. That includes Battlefield 2142, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (and Vietnam, separately), Battlefield 2 and of course, Battlefield 3.

battlefield_3_10th_sale_092012.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
So, you have to buy it through origin only? No thanks.

Agreed and isn't it a contradiction to have them at a sale price when they berated Valve for doing that? I know it's a "celebration" for an anniversary, but I do not see a difference, a sale is a sale.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madmat said:
So, you have to buy it through origin only? No thanks.

The game is only available through Origin.

Kayden said:
Agreed and isn't it a contradiction to have them at a sale price when they berated Valve for doing that? I know it's a "celebration" for an anniversary, but I do not see a difference, a sale is a sale.

You're saying that EA's beef with Valve was that it put games on sale? That doesn't make a lot of sense, because Activision almost never puts its games on sale, and when it does, the savings are stupid small until the game is two years old.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think that must've been the opinion of just one person, because EA sold NFS The Run for $20 one week after release last fall... more than six months before that article was published.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Save your pennies for Borderlands 2. You'll have more fun. :p

The Bad Company 2 deal is pretty sweet though.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I think that must've been the opinion of just one person, because EA sold NFS The Run for $20 one week after release last fall... more than six months before that article was published.

The one person is their senior VP for e-commerce sales.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The one person is their senior VP for e-commerce sales.

Doesn't matter who said it... it's the opinion of one person. 8 months prior to that comment EA had an epic sale on Origin that devalued its IP just the same. Therefore, it doesn't make sense. Doesn't seem to be the opinion of the entire company.

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's the opinion of one of the people who are key in deciding what goes to Steam and what doesn't. Which could explain why there's no BF 2142 or BF 3 on Steam. Because the senior VP in charge of deciding who sells their stuff has a hardon for them.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"8 months prior to that comment EA had an epic sale on Origin that devalued its IP just the same."

That's the point here. EA sold stuff super-low long before this person spoke up, so I am not sure what it ultimately has to do with EA not being on Steam, unless it all boils down to sale frequencies.

The main reason EA games are not on Steam is that it offers a competing platform. It just makes business sense to not be available on Steam if the intent is to build Origin up, even if it means losing out on some initial sales.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
None of the past couple Sims 3 expansion packs have been made available to Steam, whereas the first 6 or 7 were, so I am assuming that if EA does release something to Steam, it'll be something minor. Nothing from EA has hit Steam since March:

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Electronic Arts

Edit: And the last Need for Speed game wasn't made available there, either. I am interested to see if the next one is.