The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Review

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
A war is brewing. Monarchs, Lords and Nobility squabble away over fractured lands, the Mages fight amongst themselves, deception runs rife, corrupt officials, over-taxation and a world full of monsters to cast asunder - Geralt of Rivia is back, in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

opening.jpg

You can read our review of CD Projekt RED's latest game and discuss here.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Oh man this is soo awesome! I'll have to wait till July to purchase this baby! Cant wait for the extra goodies the Devs have thrown in! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
With DX9 games that look this good, why aren't we seeing something that rivals reality since we're at DX11 now?

marfig

No ROM battery
With DX9 games that look this good, why aren't we seeing something that rivals reality since we're at DX11 now?

DX9 was pretty much a milestone (sort of ahead of its time) version, attested by games today still being at large developed around this version. All these good looks are possible only today, because at the time we simply didn't have GPUs good enough to handle all the effects DX9 made possible. As such, there's a sort of phasing effect, in that it just seems to us (due to how software normally evolves) that DX9 is an old and limiting API, when in truth it couldn't be more modern. In fact, we can still push the DX9 envelope further... We just need better GPUs.

That said, it was only with DX11 that something new and significant was introduced. On this case, tessellation (I would also include multitask rendering as perhaps the top feature of DX11, but that's slightly off-topic). Tessellation will give games a higher degree of "realism" indeed. But only when we get to be able to implement it freely without fearing losing a significant portion of the player base. The thing is that Tesselation applications are far greater than simply handling surface textures, hair & fur or water & fire, for instance. These tend to be issues in modern games (along with the very old problem of shadows). But we can just hardly handle tessellated surface textures in modern GPUs, so these will still be a long way from now.

For what is worth, "full" realism can already be implemented with DX9, but at this stage only for pre-rendered scenes and motion picture. What is holding us back is GPU processing.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
The moment you have more than one opponent the combat gets soo freakin' frustrating!! It totally kills all the fun and all i do is try to avoid fights!

HATEing the fist console type fights!
I prefer the fight mechanism of the first Witcher over this one, totally!

I was soo expecting a deep RPG experience but it doesn't feel like that as much as its predecessor. I think the combat has become more arcadish, more physical and revolves around button-mashing and combos and quick-time events, rather than stats, strategy or tactics. If long dialogue sequences, beefed up graphics and action-oriented gameplay define an RPG, than the genre has changed. It's sadly clear, The Witcher 2 has gone the way of Dragon Age 2 and ME2, improved visuals, dumbed down gameplay, catering lesser and lesser to the core RPG fans least of all. :(

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
The Xbox 360 uses a modified version of DirectX9, I believe. I have been researching cross-platform development. I found some informationn on Cell processor programming (Playstation) and an older book on developing for PSN, Xbox, and Gamecube. There is a lot of stuff out there on XNA, but I do not really want to use it.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The combat to begin with in the first chapter is frustrating. I died more times than i could count - not even taking into consideration the boss fight. After completing the game once and replaying it, i found the combat much easier. I still have the same basic equipment, but i can handle the fights much better - so there is a learning curve to the system. It is more action based, but it's still a good RPG.

Nearer the end of the first chapter, you will be able to get some new equipment which helps in the fight, but you do need to use the Signs like Aard, Yrden and Quen. Quen is essential in a large group, it stops you taking damage. You use Yrden to trap mobs to keep them at bay and Aard to push back and throw off balance (if you find a ledge, you can Aard things off it). You do have to dodge a lot as well, attack, roll, attack, roll, keep moving.

There is a lot more strategy than meets the eye, it's just, it doesn't tell you how to fight, it kind of expects you to know. Getting the reduce back damage skill is pretty much a must too. By the second chapter, most of your combat woes will be gone as you get the decent equipment.

As a hint... in the early stages, concentrate on getting Vitality, through the trophies and item enhancements, like with the diamond armour plate and Earth runes, they make a big difference (and the +100 vit from the skill).

Edit: Forgot to mention, when in game ,you can turn Difficult QTE off, meaning, they don't occur in game except for fist fights - but to be honest, QTEs are very rare outside of fist fights.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
rightly said Tharic!! Am finally getting a hand of the fighting and the game as a whole! Enjoying it now!! Love the new equipment stuff, unlike the Witcher 1!! :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Updated to version 2.0 and started a fresh on a newly introduced difficulty level: Dark! It has some new crafting diagrams for new equipment! Just completed the Blasphemer's 6 Item Set! Looks very nice, love the Black! :D

The gpu upgrade enables me to play it on Ultra settings and it looks amazing!