The many uses of Dell

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
-snort-

Haha...

I own a Dell too... two of them infact, and I'd love to use mine as a paperweight... or a boat achor... or a porta-potty. Yeah... Hehe. ^^ Nah, my pc isn't so bad now that it has had a few upgrades, but I definetley will never ever by a Dell again.

Worldstar

Obliviot
Why do so many people dislike Dell?

Is it because the company is so successful? People always hate successful companies.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I don't like Dell for the simple fact that it's harder to addon components without causing it to freak out. We had a computer in our art class and the teacher wanted to add another stick of ram and they had to buy a $120 dollar stick of 512 only because it only, was compatible.

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
Jakal said:
I don't like Dell for the simple fact that it's harder to addon components without causing it to freak out.

Isn't Apple the same way? Proprietary and difficult to add any new components on from third parties?

jakal said:
We had a computer in our art class and the teacher wanted to add another stick of ram and they had to buy a $120 dollar stick of 512 only because it only, was compatible.

Which type of RAM was it? Dell does not use standard memory sticks?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
SqueekyClean said:
Isn't Apple the same way? Proprietary and difficult to add any new components on from third parties?
As long as the parts are compatible there's no problem.

SqueekyClean said:
Which type of RAM was it? Dell does not use standard memory sticks?
I didn't bother to ask. It's not my pc.

living_joke

Obliviot
Jakal said:
and they had to buy a $120 dollar stick of 512 only because it only, was compatible.

They were probably TOLD by someone in Dell support department that they would need to buy the memory upgrade from Dell in order for it to work on their computer. What they were told was probably not true. I doubt that they really needed to buy from Dell, any generic memory would of worked. My girlfriend who is very computer illiterate has a Dell computer, and often calls me to help her with it. When she needed to upgrade her memory, I ran to a local store and picked up generic memory and it worked fine in her computer.

phonywish

Obliviot
I can't believe the teacher paid $120 for a memory chip. Should of had one of her students check the computer out and do the upgrade for her.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That was awesome. I too am surprised that they allowed him to go on as long as he did. At least the audience got a charge out of the call.

I use a Dell laptop for school. It's not TOO bad. The second video was funny. I couldn't view the fiirst one because the site was blocked on my school network.