Techgage Benchmark Scoring Thread

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, it is due to Vista, but I am unsure of the exact reason there is a difference. I ran FRAPS at the same time on both OS' and the resulting scores from those were identical to what Lightsmark spit out.

We'll keep the scores for now, but anyone who uses Windows XP will have an obvious advantage.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Boy, that's a bad performance hit that you get from using Vista, I heard Vista was tough on system performance, but I would have never thought that it was so much.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, there is something wrong here somewhere. Gaming is most definitely not 50% faster under XP. I haven't done any recent benchmarks, but I should if I can find the time. But even without them, I know XP doesn't have such a massive advantage. I'd believe 5% - 10% increases, but nothing like Lightsmark shows.

I am skeptical about that benchmark, but won't settle on it until I find out why there is such a stark difference between the two OS'.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'd be interested in seeing how well ATi based cards do in this test performance wise between XP and Vista. Everything I seen so far is Nvidia based cards. It could be that the Nvidia SLi drivers are at fault.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
But I am not running SLI and I score just as well as you guys using SLI. Obviously it doesn't properly recognize SLI under Vista.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Does anyone on the forums run a ATi card under Vista (HD3870) or something close to the 8800GT performance so we can see if its just the Nvidia Vista drivers.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can run the test on an ATI card tomorrow, as I'll hook back up my main machine for that purpose. I e-mailed the developer of the benchmark and also looked at the source code and couldn't see anything that would favor XP over Vista.

I hope to hear back from the developer so we can figure this out.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Boy, that's a bad performance hit that you get from using Vista, I heard Vista was tough on system performance, but I would have never thought that it was so much.
Vista is a RAM eater for sure, that's why I went with 2 gig of RAM on this machine

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm currently limited to 2 gig or DDR3 period (only have 2 DDR3 slots) but I can go back to DDR2 if need be, the board also has 4 DDR2 slots, so at least I have the option if I need more. I would be nice if they made 4 gig sets of DDR3, but even if they did, I'm sure that I couldn't afford it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Lots of memory manufacturers carry 4GB kits, but most of them lack in overall frequency or with the timings. Average 4GB kits are equipped with DDR3-1333 speeds with a CL of 8 or 9 and retail for around $350 - $400.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I've honestly never noticed them at any of the e-tailers, but at those prices, I might just be better off going back to DDR2, I think I can get 4 gig for a quarter of the DDR3 prices depending on where I shop.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh there is no question. You could get 8GB of DDR2 for cheaper than 2GB of DDR3... it's a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. If you were looking for the absolute best performance, then DDR3 would make sense, but it's still a huge premium.

werty316

Partition Master
SuperPI 1M

21.328s

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
Well, I want my own page in wikipedia one day but for now I'll settle for a few spots on the top benchmarks scores. I ran the SiSoftware memory bandwidth and got a 9549 on the int and a 9504 on the float measured in MB/s. This is a new system and haven't done much work to it so I can hardly believe that I start at the top. Look here.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, I want my own page in wikipedia one day but for now I'll settle for a few spots on the top benchmarks scores. I ran the SiSoftware memory bandwidth and got a 9549 on the int and a 9504 on the float measured in MB/s. This is a new system and haven't done much work to it so I can hardly believe that I start at the top. Look here.
Nice 16X multiplier there.....
My Asus board and AMD X2 6000+ died...I think the PCI slot

Krazy K

Partition Master
Thanks, I've been out of the game a while so I'm going to pretend that I know exactly what that multiplies.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Thanks, I've been out of the game a while so I'm going to pretend that I know exactly what that multiplies.
With CPUz ( a small program to see your CPU ) you can see many things about your proccessor.
Your CPU has a 16X mutiplier, so when you overclock that chip, you can use it in multiples of 16.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Not to be rude or anything, but if I burned something out and before I smash it to bits can I get my name added to that memory list?