Sony's PlayStation 3 Seeing Hacks En Masse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Over the course of the past week, Sony has amped up its stance against "hackers" by trying even harder to prevent its console from being circumvented. You might recall that a mod kit was released about a month ago to allow the playback of "backed up" game copies, and clearly, Sony wasn't too pleased. Now, the company has gone even further, by blocking many USB devices from being used. This has even caused some legit third-party products (PDF) from being used.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

CaptainFluffy

Obliviot
I wish video game companies (not just Sony) would realize that you're never going to completely get rid of modders/pirates and removing features in an attempt to stop them is just going to hurt sales more than it'll improve them. (See: IW.net, "always on" DRMs, etc. etc.)

I guess eventually they'll run out of things to remove before the console becomes un-playable.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
We at Sony are committed to product excellence. We know how hard our R&D team worked to launch the Playstation 3 and how hard out partners work to put out quality games that you will enjoy.

Recently we have noticed an increase in the rate of piracy in the form of "backed up" games. As you can guess this hurts us all. It takes time and resources for our team to find ways to combat new piracy methods and and our partners lose out on money from the sale of games that are obtained and played illegally.

It is because of this we have chosen to disable the CPU on all Playstation 3 systems by way of an update later this month. We feel it is the best way to protect our intellectual property and the property of our development partners.

To our loyal customers we say thank you and we look forward to keeping you entertained at the expense of rational thought.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Look how long it took hackers to do, well, anything... Sony gave them a serious challenge here and has enjoyed years of uninterrupted sales, the high price was the biggest hurdle for people to jump over. But it doesn't take long to see how many blunders Sony's made over the last couple years, it really has lost the word Logic in their vocabulary. PSP Go? Memory Stick Duo 2? Other OS? 3rd party USB? Account + PS3 DRM Locked Movies?

I'm just waiting for a bombshell on Sony's Premium Subscription - something along the lines of removing facebook, twitter, BBC iPlayer (for us brits), netflix, etc etc, and making it all Premium only... it wouldn't surprise me the least.... hell only enable the browser with a credit card, that'll stop them pirates....:rolleyes:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
CaptainFluffy said:
I wish video game companies (not just Sony) would realize that you're never going to completely get rid of modders/pirates and removing features in an attempt to stop them is just going to hurt sales more than it'll improve them. (See: IW.net, "always on" DRMs, etc. etc.)

In a perfect world... haha. I couldn't agree more. Piracy is not a war that can be won. Why that hasn't sunk into the heads of these companies is beyond me. Instead, it's the legit consumers who end up being on the bad end of the stick. The pirates are the winners in the end.

Optix said:
It is because of this we have chosen to disable the CPU on all Playstation 3 systems by way of an update later this month. We feel it is the best way to protect our intellectual property and the property of our development partners.

Haha, that made me laugh out loud for real. Perhaps it shouldn't have though, because it might be true down the road at some point.

Tharic-Nar said:
I'm just waiting for a bombshell on Sony's Premium Subscription - something along the lines of removing facebook, twitter, BBC iPlayer (for us brits), netflix, etc etc, and making it all Premium only... it wouldn't surprise me the least.... hell only enable the browser with a credit card, that'll stop them pirates..

Now that wouldn't surprise me. I keep up to date on the PSN updates, and up to this point, that premium subscription looks like a total waste of time.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Personally I am glad to have an Xbox haahhaha Sony is just crazy, back with the PS2/Xbox they were forcing mod-chip sites down and suing the owners going crazy with it then with the PS3/Xbox 360 they were letting you put Linux on it, M$ was banning people left and right and now it seems to have somewhat reversed. M$ still bans for online mods but they don't make it any harder, in fact they make it easier to mod and Sony goes to war and starts ripping features out of its console. Personally I think their should be essentially a M$ Moderated/Monitored XBL and then a XBL area where anyone can mod and its disclosed that the players are modding but forbid just certain mods, like infinite health but that's just my opinion :p