So is the 5770 like the top selling card in the world now?

Envy

Obliviot
I've heard of soooo many people getting it! At first I heard it wasnt that good and was outperformed by 4850s/4870s but now I always hear how great it was. So what do you guys think? Is it top selling? and for those of you who have one what do you think?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I love mine. Plays everything I can throw at it, including DIRT2, at med-hi/hi settings with 4XAA or more. It is an awesome budget card for those that cannot afford the $300+ 5850/5870.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I've heard of soooo many people getting it! At first I heard it wasnt that good and was outperformed by 4850s/4870s
I'm pretty sure the 5770 will smoke a 4850. Overclock it and you're looking at 4890 or close to 5850 scores. That's my game plan anyway.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Availability, price, performance ... there is a way to plot this in way some Econ Prof would love.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
P *
R *
I *<------- sweet spot (5770)
C *
E*
PERFORMANCE

I'll take my A+ now teach!

EDIT: Dangit! The forums didn't take my spacing although if I edit the post it still shows it. Oh well. I'll take another C- I guess.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Code:
P                              *
R                       *
I                *<------- sweet spot (5770)
C       *
E*
   PERFORMANCE
Use Code tags to stop white space removal, html [per] tags don't work... *sigh*.... ASCII art confined to a code box... oh well.... Grade increased to A-

[/i_use_forums_too_much]

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I love the HD 5770! It might be a tad slower than the HD 4870, but I appreciate the fact that it includes DirectX 11 support, and has unparalleled power efficiency and temperatures. Not to mention there's Eyefinity support for those who might want it down the road. It's a great card for the price.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
If you ask me, they saturate the market well enough to give us excellent choices when even a few more dollars is a deal breaker. I do agree that so many models can lead to some confusion, of course, but they atleast offer alot of great budget choices. I also prefer AMD's decision to not rehash chips with new numbers just to make them seem new as well unlike Nvidia's abuse of the G92 for so long.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
I felt that the 5830 was better price-performance wise over the 5770 but apparently I'm alone in this. lol. Some review sites even say that 5830 is too hot and too costly (although up here the difference is only 20-40 dollars) compared to the 5770. I guess I just got spoiled because 4890 at ~180-200 was pretty damn beastly.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'd like to see the 5830 hit $200 to be honest. AMD may adjust their prices when Nvidia finally gets their act together but I'm not really holding out much hope.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I'd like to see the 5830 hit $200 to be honest. AMD may adjust their prices when Nvidia finally gets their act together but I'm not really holding out much hope.

It truly depends on Nvidia pricing. If their board partners don't rape their customers, the Green Team should come in at good pricing causing ATI to drop prices.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I should have clarified a bit. The reason why I don't hold out much hope about Nvidia causing AMD to lower their prices because at the rate Nvidia it will likely be another 6 months before they can cover all of the price points. Look how long it is taking for them to launch their flagship card and how low the yields are at the fab plants.

kpenfound

Obliviot
I've used both the 5770 and 5750. For the price, the 5770 is definitely the way to go. You can typically find them for around $160-170, and they have incredible performance.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
At the time the only issue with the 5770 is that it offers ~4870 / 4890 performance at more than the 4890's prices. Now that 5770's can be found for $135 it's not really an issue anymore.