Should Netflix Get Rid of its DVD Rental Service?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
When Netflix launched its DVD rental service in 1999, DVDs were still the main source of movie-viewing in the world, and thanks to the convenience factor, it didn't take much time at all before a countless number of homes in the US had red envelopes hit their mailboxes. Fast-forward to today, and it's not too hard to see that a lot has changed. Digital streaming is king, and so is HD content.

netflix_large_logo_012011.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
For the overall financial picture of the company, yes. For those who are still quite far behind the times and aren't ready to or can't stream, no. It's a catch 22 situation Netflix won't be able to please everybody with it's decision.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, there are still A TON of shows/movies that aren't available to stream, so I don't know what they should do really.

Exactly!!

I don't see how they can possibly do away with their DVD business because most of their DVD (and especially Blu-ray) catalogs are NOT available for streaming. It doesn't seem to be a matter of them not getting around to making digital copies, as much as licensing agreements limiting them to physical media distribution for many titles. Whatever the case they wouldn't have much of a selection if they went digital stream only anytime soon.

stangflyer

Obliviot
One problem I see in the future is that internet providers are trying to limit bandwidth already. There are some already doing so. What happens when you start streaming 7-8 gb movies 10-20 times a month depending on family size? Also: are they going to compress the video even more when many more people try to stream?. I have a 73 inch mits tv and I can easily see the diff between bd and regular dvd much less a poor stream. I didn't buy this tv and hook it up to a 9.2 speaker system to watch and listen to a poor stream. Guess we will find out in the future!!!

werntonb

Obliviot
When Netflix launched its DVD rental service in 1999, DVDs were still the main source of movie-viewing in the world, and thanks to the convenience factor, it didn't take much time at all before a countless number of homes in the US had red envelopes hit their mailboxes. Fast-forward to today, and it's not too hard to see that a lot has changed. Digital streaming is king, and so is HD content.

netflix_large_logo_012011.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

DVD's will gonna be more high-tech. Should be keep more updated on DVDs. To buy a new one. :D