SGSIII

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Plugging the phone into a PC via USB lets it show up as a storage device just as an old LG (pre-Windows phones) does. Moving files between PC & Android is now simple AND I can put anything I want as a ringtone on the phone ... I do not have to buy someone's idea of what they think I should have.

I finally found where to shutoff "predictive text" for text messaging. Does anyone find it useful? I think it quite distracting & sometimes causes more problems than it solves.

Useful apps;
WiFi Analyzer ... NOW I understand why I need to move to & try 5 GHz. I am in a neighborhood with a number of wireless routers. This app makes it all obvious as to the interference. There is nothing at 5 GHz. First tho I am shopping for better antennas which are directional. Directional antennas will direct more of the signal, but typically a directional antenna more effectively attenuates interfering signals. Not something often thought about ... but that is a part of my business.

OpenSignal ... some what like WiFi Analyzer but is suppose to show the direction of WiFi signals & cell phone towers. This feature is a little erratic, but what do you expect for nothing. In other words it sometimes shows the other routers & sometimes show the cell towers while it sometimes shows the map. I think that this is mostly the nature of the beast of variable signal strengths. The interfering routers are a few houses away.

It turns out that I *do* have ATT 4G.:cool: This app has up/down load speed test which I tried late yesterday.
WiFi ... ~26064kbps down/8427kbps up (it is "n" connected)
4G ... ~4634kbps down/ 29kbps up
I have no idea how that compares to anything at the moment.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
It turns out that I *do* have ATT 4G.:cool: This app has up/down load speed test which I tried late yesterday.
WiFi ... ~26064kbps down/8427kbps up (it is "n" connected)
4G ... ~4634kbps down/ 29kbps up
I have no idea how that compares to anything at the moment.

You call that 4G :p. That upload is horendus though the DL is twice as fast as my best 3G CDMA test. Not sure if that test was on LTE (hope not) or something else but AT&T likes to call their HSPA network 4G when its a 3rd gen tech, not sure what the phone supports or their network as there are faster variants now.

I have WiMax which is a now to be abandoned 4G tech. I get 15 Mbps down 1.5 Mbps up here. First thing you will notice on LTE networks and phones is the upload is usually alot higher than WiMax. But downloads can be faster as well. People complain sprint's WiMax is bloody slow but on a bad day I get atleast 8 Mbps down and I never get less than 1.4 up.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
well, using up a little more of the monthly upload/download quota, I just ran it again;
4G ... 7994kbps down / 31kbps up

Check these stats. I have to admit that I barely know where my ass is with this phone tho. But I am pretty sure that I have this right.

Why would there much interest in the upload speed from a phone?:confused:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Uploading pics, Video calls, saving stuff to the 'cloud' etc. Upload has its uses. Also TCP overhead, there's a point when you can't download any faster because the phone can't request the data fast enough. I guess the phone has a pretty low power transmit, or the tower is crowded.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Why would there much interest in the upload speed from a phone?:confused:

To add to what he said here is the mistake everyone makes. Its not about the phone anymore silly. How much would it suck to have 100 Kbps upload on your laptop in the field coupled with that crazy crazy 40 Mbps down. Plenty of things someone would want to do on the laptop that would benifit from the upload increase. But many of the usuals apply to both as said Video chat for one, uploading video on vacation i dunno.

Mobile Internet has less to do with phones these days as coverage expands, they benifit from it as well as help drive it. Laptops and Car based Wifi use the same technology as the Phones and Tablets do but battery concern is less of an issue. Nothing wrong with phones being capable of taking advantage of a tower thats not crowded. Definitely nice to have some decent speed on a crowded tower still as well. But its all got to be balanced for battery life.

Cell phones have it bad though don't they. I mean think of the distance. Technology that gets that kind of speed over those distances and on little power consumption its amazing.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I just ran speedtest on the wired desk top, WiFi notebook, & the wireless sgsiii using the same router.

Desktop
58.87 Mbps down/8.05 Mbps up

Notebook
59.35 Mbps down/7.87 Mbps up

sgsiii WiFi ... "n" connected
11.387 Mbps down/8.237 Mbps up

sgsiii ATT 4G
9.998 Mbps down/ 1.086 Mbps up

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-10-09-25-41.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-10-09-25-41.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 471