SGSIII

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I pre-ordered 1 from amazonwireless for $150. Scheduled to be delivered 7/2.

I have a Samsung Windows phone and I am tired of being restricted. I was such a Windows fanboy.:eek:

It is predicted that the SGSIII will soon be rooted ... what the heck. I will finally be able to put the ring tones that *I* make from *my* music collection on *my* phone. Damn it:mad:

The only concern I have is how the phone will fit in my jeans pocket. This is where I keep my phone, the left pants pocket. Blue jeans fit a bit more snug than dress pants ... so I might have to work on my fatty assids a bit more if this is a problem.

I will blog more when I get it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice purchase! I look forward to seeing what you think of it, especially since you already have experience with Samsung. I've been half-considering upgrading to that one also, but funds are better spent on bills at the moment ;-)

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Meh the s3 looks lame..... I hate the phsical button that sammy seems to want on their phones. Its just dumb if you ask me, looks much sleeker as all capacitive buttons.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
@DarkStar ... I agree about the aesthetics & sort of wish that phones were just a rimless display. But I think the human factors engineering "needs" that button.

I also wanted to go android & current tech ... Nokia, Motorola, HTC, dingle berry ... er Blackberry? Those companies are stressed & I don't think we are seeing their best work.

Isn't it fascinating how the market share of these companies has become so dynamic? Market share reports just 6 months old are obsolete.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I am sticking with my GS2 Epic 4G Touch for now. I am not too disappointed in doing so as the GS3, especially in America is not the upgrade some of us were looking for. Especially for sprint users as an upgrade to an LTE phone is currently a downgrade.

Perfect time for some people to switch to verizon I guess. If we had good GSM carriers here I would love to get the i9300 for sure.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm curious to know what you think as well. My Nexus S is acting up so I'll be taking it into the shop to see what's up. If I can I'm going to get out of it and into something a bit beefier. The SG SIII is a possibility if I can swing it.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Received from Amazon yestereve

Hello,

We're contacting you about your recent order for the Samsung Galaxy S III 4G Android Phone, Blue 16GB (AT&T). There's currently a high demand for this item, and we didn't receive the item from our supplier as soon as expected. As a result, delivery of your order will be delayed.

We're very sorry about the delay. To make up for any inconvenience, orders shipping to physical addresses within the 48 contiguous states will be upgraded to one-day shipping.

For information on shipping restrictions by location click here:

http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200943490

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
AmazonWireless

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Lulz? Im looking for a newish phone for T-Mobile, probably the S2 or Skyrocket (it can be switched to tmo iirc (and so can the note albeit a bit out of my price range))

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I just got 12 emails from Amazon in the same minute ... 8 have different order numbers .. but they are now telling me that the order for the SGSIII has shipped & I have a free promotional credit for some android apps.

Ahhh ... the 8 different order numbers are free apps. ... wish I cared about apps.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I'll make a list of the free apps sometime soon, but you are right. At best they are "meh". I wanted an android phone so I could have my own ringtones clipped from my music ... damn it! :mad::D

I stopped wearing a watch. But now I have a travel alarm .. I do travel occasionally.
Appointments are in Google calendar as are several fam. members. We share the calendars we know who is doing what. Good for families spread out across the country. At least I feel connected.:confused:
I now have calculator apps... plural! It had been years since I had any kind of stand alone calculator. I think there is one that is actually a slide rule. Oxymoron?
I used to run to encyclopedias .... ha! Now I bing/google/baidu/imdb anything I hear about at anytime.

I made a custom ringtone for oldest daughter (now married). It starts off as a girl crying, then the cash register from Pink Floyd finishing with cheering. Her ringtone used to be "Shut Up" Black Eyed Peas.:D
Other ringtones ... Enter Sandman, I'll assign that to certain customers I visit ... have them call me ... they like it. :cool:
"I'm a bitch" ... uh, applied carefully.:eek:
"Red headed woman" for the red head in my life (totally hilarious woman)
Several more ..

I am looking forward to using LogMeIn on Android. It will not be real interactive from a CAD point of view, but I will be able to monitor & bump things along very conveniently. I decided the iPad 3 is not the tool for me for that app.

Being an occasional astronomer, lately quite rare, I am looking forward to Google Sky. I think it is incredibly cool to hold the phone up at the night sky & the sky map changes to that portion of the sky & identifies many objects. Just absolutely fantastic.

All of the apps for cell phone cameras. Bar codes, QR codes, printed language translations.

It takes me months to get settled into a new device

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Being an occasional astronomer, lately quite rare, I am looking forward to Google Sky. I think it is incredibly cool to hold the phone up at the night sky & the sky map changes to that portion of the sky & identifies many objects. Just absolutely fantastic

I used that app last summer while camping, and it is cool. Looking forward to using it again soon.

So did you actually receive the phone yet? I can't tell, heh.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Got it late this afternoon, charged & activated now ... lost in the sea of options, twists, turns, and ... apps. Google Sky is loaded. Looking for a worth while calculator. Then on to the fun stuff.

It will be compatible with my front jeans pocket. I will have to watch the fatty assi-ds tho. All other pants will be fine. It is bigger, but being thinner will help it work.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, if I could keep a phone in my back pocket at this point, it'd have to be as thin as paper. Glad you got it fine, and look forward to your thoughts on it. I am seriously craving an Android 4+ phone to mess with, so I'm hoping to get one sooner than later.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
How does anyone get anything done when you something like this!?!?:confused:

The size, form, & feel i am good with. The only issue, and this is a problem for me with similar devices, is that it is slick. Literally to the touch, so much so that it can easily slip from fingers & hand. Several years ago I had an HP Pocket Computer (iPAQ something or other) that had rubbery grippers for the sides. I had fun with that device anyplace that TVs setup for public and at home. I had a program for it (before they were called apps) that would allow control of any TV. :D:cool: I really messed with my teenagers who didn't know that it could do that. The havoc you can cause by raising/lowering the volume or even changing channels. My bad. It would be great to have an app like that once again, but no one seems to have the built in IR.

I have gone thru a ton of apps. One of them apparently gave out login info for my yahoo account. Ok. Now I have "lookout" plus some of their other utilities to scan & uninstall culprits that I don't really need & wouldn't have cared if they had stayed on the SGSIII were it not for similar tho not as pervasive intrusions. Lookout seems to be one of the better ones.

I noticed this AM that there updates in the near future. Browsing thru softpedia ( think:eek:) there is an update coming out soon as well as Jelly Bean.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I am planning to root it. I have a need for speed. Been reading about & might wait until after Jelly Bean update ... or not.

I can't find my custom ring tones.:mad: Guess I'll have to dig up Goldwave again.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Yes .. moving stuff around & between android & PC is as it should be ... TRIVIAL! No more Windows phones & no more iPhones for me.:p Wife + iPhone + iPad was a good decision tho.

I thought I had lost all of the ring tones I had made.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I need a new phone though, due to nvidia SUCKING massively...... They wont release ICS drivers for the Ventanna chipset so no HW accel and that means no video recording. >.>