Selecting a Power Supply

O Nemesis 0

Obliviot
I need more power because 350w is just not enough. I want a PSU with 600w or more and the PSU has to have AFPC and more than 80% efficiency at full load. It must be modular too. Another thing that would be nice is blue LED's. Are there any quality PSU's that can be recommended?

ty

madmat

Soup Nazi
The Tt Toughpower 750 I reviewed a bit ago should fit the bill nicely. No blue LEDs but it has everything else you're after.

O Nemesis 0

Obliviot
So I read your review and I think this will fit nicely in my NZXT Apollo Case. However will the Thermaltake sticker thing that says tough power be on the window side (left if you're in front of case)?

madmat

Soup Nazi
Depends on if you have enough room for an oversized PSU or not. The Tt is just a tad bigger than a regular ATX power supply while the Silverston is huge. Myself I'd go with the smaller of the two since they're both solid performers and both deliver on their ratings.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'd also go for the Tt Toughpower. they're a solid PSU made by Channel Well and have a pretty solid rep. I'm using a Xclio, which is basicly the same PSU (Channel Well), and couldn't be more pleased with it.

Baron

Obliviot
The Corsair HX520/620 would also be a good choice.
The only thing it lacks is the bling of an led fan.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
The Corsair power supplies are Seasonic-designed, and very quiet as reviewed by SilentPCReview. If you do not care about Bling (as I do not), the HX supplies from Corsair are probably the best options.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, Seasonic makes those. I actually just received one, and I have to say it looks extremely solid. Can't wait to pop it in a machine. Even the packaging is the best I've seen for a PSU, heh.

madmat

Soup Nazi
The new X-Pro series from Ultra are pretty solid, I've got a prototype 600W unit that I've been playing with and it's nice as heck. No modular cables sadly but still pretty spanky.

madmat

Soup Nazi
The 600W version I have has a single 12V rail, 80%+ efficiency, APFC and is a very solid PSU.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
It looks like any other standard-length ATX power supply to me. You should be good in that case even with an extended-length power supply like their Silencer 750W.

Welcome to the forum.

madmat

Soup Nazi
The Silencer 610 is a bit bigger than a standard ATX PSU to the tune of 1.5" to 2.0" but it still should be fine in that case, I don't see you having any issues.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Well, so it is.

Silencer 610: 7.1" deep
ATX Standard: 5.9" deep

So, the Silencer 610 is actually 1.2" deeper than the standard ATX power supply. I suppose I should have done more homework before I said that it looked like a standard ATX power supply, instead of just eyeballing it.