Selecting a Power Supply

madmat

Soup Nazi
I've got ATX PSUs that are 5.5" deep so I've always gone with that as the minimum depth for ATX power supplies.

Cool, so PSU's can be larger but typically they're just longer?? Like how do you guys know it will fit in the case? I can't find specs for my case i.e. dimensions for PSU space etc.

Thanks for the tips, I really like this case too, it's going to be so awesome! :)

Oooh I have another question, please help!

What's the deal with this on my Silencer 610:
Type: EPS12V

Will that work with my motherboard??
ASUS M2N-E Mobo

If anyone knows for sure that would be awesome! I'm confused on this whole EPS12V and ATX12V stuff... :(

madmat

Soup Nazi
EPS is the 8 pin power used for servers, typically the PCP&C stuff will either have both 8 & 4 pin or come with an adapter.

As to the size, yes it'll fit there's plenty of depth between the rear of the case and the rear of the drive bays.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Just a little mini-review for y'all...

I bought an Etasis ET750 750W power supply recently. Etasis is the OEM for three of the Silverstone Zeus series power supplies, the 560W, 750W, and 850W, but they've entered the market under their own brand name as well. It's an extended-length power supply with two PCBs, and it offers four 6-pin PCI-E power connectors and both four- and eight-pin motherboard power connectors. The Motherboard, PCI-E, and ATX12V 2.2 cables are all sleeved with expandable mesh, while the SATA and 4-pin Molex cables are braided. The PSU itself has a silver painted finish, and it's one of the most well-packaged power supplies I've seen. It also has quad 12V rails, for powering four voracious video cards separately. In testing by sites like JonnyGuru.com, the ET-series Gaming Power Supplies turned in remarkably good results, remaining stable and clean even at high loads. This isn't surprising, given the fact that Etasis made their name in the server power supply market long before they turned an eye toward the PC enthusiast market.

The problem I have with most power supplies isn't with voltage sagging or ripple, however -- it's with operating noise. Etasis advertises that the single 80mm fan in the power supply is controlled by "IFM", or "Intelligent Fan Management", which is a thermal fan control circuit. Placing the fan on the interior end of the power supply allows the internal space of the PSU casing to act as a muffler. Unfortunately, the Sanyo Denki "San Cooler 80" fan inside the unit runs way too fast to be silent, even at its lowest speed. The structure of the PSU allows most of the fan noise to be damped out, but what's left is the sound of turbulent airflow. The overall noise level isn't loud, but it's not even what I'd call 'quiet', and in that regard, the ET750 power supply is a major disappointment.

Attachments

• et750end.png
    et750end.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

NicePants42

Partition Master
The problem I have with most power supplies isn't with voltage sagging or ripple, however -- it's with operating noise.
I'm with you, man. 100%.

Etasis advertises that the single 80mm fan in the power supply is controlled by "IFM", or "Intelligent Fan Management", which is a thermal fan control circuit. Placing the fan on the interior end of the power supply allows the internal space of the PSU casing to act as a muffler. Unfortunately, the Sanyo Denki "San Cooler 80" fan inside the unit runs way too fast to be silent, even at its lowest speed. The structure of the PSU allows most of the fan noise to be damped out, but what's left is the sound of turbulent airflow. The overall noise level isn't loud, but it's not even what I'd call 'quiet', and in that regard, the ET750 power supply is a major disappointment.
You probably saw this one coming a mile away - it's sad how we get taken in by the same marketing promises, hoping that maybe some new technique will actually make the PSU quieter - and then reality strikes. Then your perfect hindsight kicks in: "A silent 80mm fan? What was I THINKING?"

I purchased the PCP&C silencer 750 thinking that since PCP&C is such a high-end brand, they must really MEAN silent. Wrong. This thing is like a freaking hair dryer under load, even though it's air intake is ambient.

At this point, my next PSU purchase is probably going to be something from the TT toughpower series. [H] reviewed the 1200W unit recently, and the efficiency ranged from 82 to 87% - plus it uses a Yate Loon 140mm fan for cooling.

moon111

Coastermaker
My SuperFlower has a 14 cm fan with a speed controller. Modular cables. Attractive finish. Really quiet. Some come with LEDs. (Mine did not) I wasn't worried about wattage, etc... my hardware isn't the most demanding.

I must say, I really like the concept of a single 14 cm fan. And with three speed settings, going from practically silent to a soft wind is nice.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Cool and Quiet

I went with the Silverstone ST 1000w with 14 cm fan. Mainly for the dual 12v rails for a total of 82 amps peak load.
I can't even tell if it's running it's so quiet.Even at high loads it stays quiet.
THe fan is on the inside, bringing in ambient air and exhausting inside.
JUst as the exhaust is expelled, the case fan ( Thermaltake Armor Aluminum ) takes the air back outside.

Merlin

Last edited:

NicePants42

Partition Master
I went with the Silverstone ST 1000w with 14 cm fan. Mainly for the dual 12v rails for a total of 82 amps peak load.
I can't even tell if it's running it's so quiet.Even at high loads it stays quiet.
THe fan is on the inside, bringing in ambient air and exhausting inside.
JUst as the exhaust is expelled, the case fan ( Thermaltake Armor Aluminum ) takes the air back outside.

Merlin

That's great and all, but I can't find a review of the ST1000. The largest and most recent Strider series review I can find is the ST850 at Jonnyguru. The review isn't exactly stellar.

IIRC, Decathlon = Modularized Olympia, but I think the Striders are another beast.