secAU Kicks Off Hard Drive Overclocking Competition

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
In ye olde days, overclocking was a mysterious art, one that few would dare venture into. Today? It seems to be almost as common as simply using a PC - at least in enthusiast circles. Whether it be your CPU, GPU or memory, overclocking is a quick way to squeeze extra performance out of your hardware. But how about overclocking a component that quite frankly shouldn't be? Such as a hard drive?

western_digital_caviar_black_070411.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

marfig

No ROM battery
LOL! What a crazy idea. Sexy crazy. :)

I guess 500 GB is a small hard drive by today's standards. So there should be plenty of folks trying. This contest will probably go as the single most destructive event to hard drives in computing history.

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking of the Great Dying.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Honestly, i wouldn't even know where to start. Changing the spindle motor may up it from 7,200 to 15,000+, but if the head controller can't keep up, you'll just get streams of garbled data. The spindle is the most obvious thing to change though, since manufacturers do this all the time, they just settle on 7200 as it's a good balance between power and lifespan. I know WD have the Raptor drives, but they are seriously expensive, and it's cheaper to get an SSD for much greater performance, albeit limited capacity.

What people have been calling out for over the years is a dual or tri-head configuration. Instead of one head per platter, you put another on the opposite side, one reads, the other writes, or both set to read, work on different parts of the platter to prevent I/O corruption, etc. But that just increases the number of files that can accessed at a time, it won't have much affect on latency - pretty much the biggest problem for IO performance on a hard drive.

I think reliability goes out the window when it comes to OC'ing a hard drive - and the file system will also affect performance too due to redundancy and checksums etc. I think that if it could be done reliably - the hard drive manufacturers would have done it already... maybe...