SATA Hard drive and SATA CD/DVD Burner

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I cant agree with B1lk1 any more than I already do on this one. There is honestly very little real world advantage to running RAID 0 on a PC. RAID 1 would give you peace of mind but I personally would do what he suggested if you -have- to setup a RAID array.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I read a pretty good article a while ago where a guy did some with RAID 0 vs. single drives where he compared some load times for with a stopwatch. His numbers showed that performance was generally better when running Windows and the swap file on one HDD, and games/apps on another - not using RAID 0.

I'll see if I can find a link.

I personally haven't taken the time to recreate his experimentation, but simply took his advice and set up my two Raptor 150s per his recommendations, with a single large HDD for additional storage.

I used to run 4 Seagate 160gb HDDs in a 4-drive RAID 0, and I can easily say that my current setup doesn't feel any slower (if anything, quite the opposite). One area where there's a huge improvement is when I'm moving or converting files; with my 4-drive RAID 0, file conversion took a long time because I was reading/writing to the same location. When you're reading from one drive and writing to another, conversion is FAST.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I got the final parts yesterday and installed everything.
It went so smooth it was scary.
Like I said this is my first build using SATA
I got the Samsung CD/DVD burner and the 150 gig WD Raptor.

Just to see how it would work I loaded Vista Ultamate in 18 minutes from dvd in till the final reboot.
I got a cheap video card ( 8600 GT ) just for DX 10
The vista performance test, I got a 5.9 rating ( I don't know what is a good rating here )

Later, maybe in June when the new cards come out, I''ll get the good PCIe card

I got the game demo of Lost Planet
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1639
Awesome graphics and effects with DX 10

Thanks for all the help,
Deckard

Last edited: