SATA Hard drive and SATA CD/DVD Burner

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Okay, I have never had a SATA hard drive or burner.
The other three machines have been EIDE.
I keep reading about raid setups 0. 1. 2 and so forth.
Do I need to set up a raid system.....I'm not running a server, just games and photoshop and 3d graphics.
Can I just put the drives in and they work......may sound stupd here, But I trust you guys and read so much here.
Most may have been through this stage as well.

On OS install will it work without installing anything? Windows XP Media Center
And the SATA CD/DVD burner....to load the OS?

I want to install the Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
and the Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model AD-7170S-0B - OEM

Deckard

ASUS M2N32 SLI DeluxeWIFI
AMD AM2 6000+ CPU
Corsair XMS2 800mhz twin 1024 gigs
6 SATA connectors on MoBo ( one external ) another internal

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
I dunno... anything electronic with the word "arc" in the name and it's not a piece of welding equipment, well, it spooks me.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Last PC I built from scratch using the SATA DVD drives had trouble finding the DVD to install. I ended up having to use an IDE drive to install, then just used the SATA afterwards.

MakubeX

Partition Master
In Win XP SATA drives will work by just plugging them in. You don't need to install drivers or anything.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Maybe so but SATA optical drives are new enough for them to give fits to software produced before they were.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Once you are IN Windows there are no special drivers. Getting a BIOS to recognize a SATA DVD drive before you install any OS is a whole other story. If the BIOS doesn't see it as a DVD drive, you can't use it to install anything.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have two Pioneer S-ATA DVD burners and I've never had a problem having them be detected in the BIOS or with installing Windows off of them. I have used them both using eVGAs 680i and Intel XBX2. Older boards may have trouble, but the newer ones seem to handle them fine.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Just my 2 cents. If you dont have the Raptor yet, save your money and get a good SATA II 3.0GBps drive. For the price of the Raptor, you can get
3-4 times the storage and you honestly wont notice a difference in speed. The 74GB Raptor of mine was one of the silliest purchases I have ever made and I don't even use it anymore because who wants a small drive.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I have two Pioneer S-ATA DVD burners and I've never had a problem having them be detected in the BIOS or with installing Windows off of them. I have used them both using eVGAs 680i and Intel XBX2. Older boards may have trouble, but the newer ones seem to handle them fine.

That's interesting. I built a system with the BX2 and no matter what I did it wouldn't recognize that damn SATA drive for installing Windows. I must have overlooked something. Good info to know.

And yes DS, I agree that Raptors make no sense. The new Seagate drives with Perpendicular read/write are pretty much as fast and a helluva alot cheaper.

KusoSamurai

Obliviot
The Perpendicular read/write only come in IDE? Am I correct in thinking this or can i find a SATA Perpendicular read/write drive?

MakubeX

Partition Master
Just my 2 cents. If you dont have the Raptor yet, save your money and get a good SATA II 3.0GBps drive. For the price of the Raptor, you can get
3-4 times the storage and you honestly wont notice a difference in speed. The 74GB Raptor of mine was one of the silliest purchases I have ever made and I don't even use it anymore because who wants a small drive.

Amen to that!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Perpendicular recording isn't just for SATA or IDE exclusively. It's simply a technology that allows the platters to hold more information. It just so happens that all the drives that use this technology happen to be SATA.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
To me, it makes no sense at all to have 1TB in a RAID 0 since that is an ASSLOAD of data lose if something goes wrong. In a RAID 1 that would be a nice way to run it for data safety.

I would personally run the 750GB drive if you are looking for maximum capacity and data safety.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
For speed, I'd get 2 250GB 7200.10 Seagate drives and run them in RAID 0. Then I would get 1 500GB 7200.10 Seagate and use that to store anything and everything important. That would give you 1TB and the best of both worlds for pure speed and data safety.