Sabayon Linux 3.2

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You could almost walk to the developers house and kick him if it doesn't install on your system. He lives in Italy somewhere ;-)

Good luck, I hope you get it working. If worst comes to worst, I still recommend the IRC room. There are a lot of Sabayon users there, including Beta testers, so chances are someone will know the answer.

E

El-Timi

Apps on SL3.2

Saying this distro is 'impressive' is genuinely an understatement.

I started my Linux journey with RedHat9 in '04, moved to the Fedora Project in '05 and in Nov'07, I bought a Linux User & Developer mag which had attached, a distro I admit I'd never heard of- sabayon.

Not having to read about proprietary blah, THEN downloading codecs on my ssslow Internet connection before watching a DVD or listening or my .mp3 collections is simply brilliant.

Not that it does not have it's own perks; I had problems with my BCM4311 wireless onboard card (can't really recall what I tweaked to correct it), WINE hangs (or need I be online the first time I launch it?) and I have to re-configure sound with alsaconf each time I reboot. And I can't play .flv files.

I still use XP for gaming and browsing the Net on my AirCard580 (yes it's broadband but I now live on the outskirts of town). While on the subject, has anyone got the file AirCard_580_Linux.tar.gz? seirrawireless.com wasn't much help.

Last week I installed Ubuntu8.04 and.. well.. let's see.. where did I put that SL DVD..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, glad to hear your experiences have gone well. I'm especially glad to hear that SL has gotten so big that it's actually being strapped to magazines now. That's excellent.

As for the ALSA issue, I am not sure what causes it, but I have the same issue on my main machine, which runs Gentoo. It will default to the card I have hooked up to the headphones, rather than the one connected to the speakers. It's a little bit of a pain, but whatever.

You may want to re-emerge alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils and see if that helps anything. Just make sure that the alsa-driver is going to be compiled with the cards installed in your system ( using an emerge -av alsa-driver will tell you ).

E

El-Timi

Re: Apps on SL 3.2

Thanks. I'll try re-emerge the asla group soon as I re-install SL but hopefully, I wont need to since it'd be like a new installation!

still, could you point me to where I might find AirCard_580_Linux.tar.gz? I'd really love to hit the Net on Linux via this 'broadband' connection. I've tried sierrawireless.com, website of the cards' manufacturers but while one can download the .zip instructions, the tarball's non existent. Even tried google and limewire (sandboxed) without luck!

Do help-a-brotha!

E

El-Timi

EVDO on SL3.2

Will give the link details a try once power's back on and I install over the Hardy Heron :)p).

Thank you.

E

El-Timi

EVDO on Sabayon

My copy of SL is infact 3.4 not 3.2 as I originally posted.

I've tried all ideas but still can't connect to the Net.

As a regular user, 'sudo pppd call 1xedvo' kept asking for a password to which I provided the root password and my provider's password but neither worked.

As su/root, the daemon's error message:
"
pppd: pppd is unable to open the /dev/ppp device.
You need to create the /dev/ppp device node by
executing the following command as root:
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
"

I'm not one to give up so easily but I think I'll take a break!!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time... I can certainly relate to the frustration though.

You could always try other distros and see if any of them pick up on it. Although, it almost seems easier to just use a different kind of connection. Is this a wireless connection, through a cell phone, or something? I'm not familiar with that kind of setup at all.

E

El-Timi

Re: AirCard580

Since gone through Ubuntu*, KUbuntu*, Linux Mint, and Unbreakable Linux and still no luck.

Don't know if my HDD can take any more formatting.

Guess I'll have to keep Redmond Operating System on a PII & configure ICS over wireless so everyone's Blah Operating System can connect.

Psht.

*Didn't even have a 'Hotplug' directory!! Thought of creating one but suspected it wouldn't integrate fine..

U

Unregistered

Try Sabayon Distro

I have read the thread . . . I have been using Sabayon for some time and am extremely happy with it.

Great at recognizing hardware and good GUI tools.

I suggest to try the love CD/DVD first 3.5 . . . if you get it working there then you can put it on your HD.

Just a thought.