Sabayon Linux 3.2

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We took a look at Sabayon 3.0 a few months ago and were greatly impressed. The developers haven't taken a break since that time, and now 3.2 is upon us. We are diving in heads first to see what's new and what's been updated.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here.

N

numa

Sounds good

Will definitely try this on my test-box @ work. If install is only 30 min. and stability is as good as you expect, no doubt I will use Sabayon Linux on our graphics workstations instead of Fedora Core!

Quick way to get a nice Gentoo-based network, albeit with some cleaning up to do. Though I'll stay with CentOS on the servers ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You said it... great way to get a Gentoo based system quick. If you don't like all of the apps or XGL, I doubt it will be very hard to uninstall it all. The key thing I enjoy about SL is the fact that it sets up all (or most) of your hardware for you. That's something that can take you a few hours with a standard Gentoo machine.

CentOS for servers, I agree :p

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I wonder if a derivative of Sabayon could be a viable consumer OS? The visual effects are plentiful enough to generate intrigue, and the Menu is easy and simple. With newer subscription-based games that provide a different stream of revenue for game developers, perhaps we might see more MMORPG and online-gaming clients ported to Linux.

A

albertfx

Sabayon

well I am currently using Sabayon 3.1 and I must say the dvd install was flawless and everything just worked "out of the box;" ok, there was no real box.

The first important thing for me was that Sabayon is smp aware and can install on a scsi hard disk - I run on a dual cpu with scsi.

next, to cut to the heart of the matter, I clicked on an MP3 ... and I am singing along because I can; next, the I grab a dvd movie (the one's you buy in a store) poped it in and I was watching a movie; next, I found my card reader was recognized; next, I found bluetooth was avaiable.

Ok, there is no "postinstall" wrok to get a full multimedia computer - shazam!

After trying over a dozen distros over the years, including FreeBSD, I sticking with Sabayon: it's the best of Linux and BSD (read Gentoo) and it does what everyone talks about. The real compliment to Sabayon, is that I am now willing to step away from XP Pro. After a more than a decade, I am tired of waiting for Windoze to get it right -- Sabayon got it right, period.

As a last point, I just did some upgrades to my system to enjoy Sabayon's 3D option &, IMHO, to improve on the Sabayon experience: new monitor, Dell 30" (hi Apple) with a max resolution 2560 x 1600 and a new ATI Graphics card X1650 Pro, 512Mb -- it's time for some damn serious enjoyment.

In brief all I can say is that Sabayon is a real treat!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice comments albertfx, glad to hear you enjoy the distro so much. I would have gone with an NVIDIA card personally, but hopefully you will not run into many problems. XGL is a little problematic it seems with ATI, but if you are not intending to use that anyway you'll be fine. Otherwise prepare for some tweaking :D

I agree with you on the multimedia front... everything works out of the box. That's one thing that a lot of die-hard GPL advocates would shout against, but for those who don't care, it's the superb distro for the job.

U

Unregistered

Installed 3.26 a couple of days ago

Installed the new 3.26 version on my new laptop a couple of days ago, and I must say that I'm very much impressed with this distro. Trying out three distros at the moment, nd I think I'll end up using Sabayon.

The fact that everything was properly configured from the live cd (including nvidia binary drivers) made me very happy after the first boot. Only wish that I'd tried the "live music edition" as the 5 minute boot from dvd was pretty boring.

Pretty much everything in my laptop was configured properly without any fiddeling, the only thing that I haven't managed to get working is the "subwoofer" in my inspiron 9400. But I haven't managed to get that work in neither ubuntu, suse nor gentoo.

+Wireless simply worked with WPA encryption.
+My MX1000 mouse was properly detected
+Geforce 9700 works without a flaw (as it should using nvidia drivers)
+Bluetooth simply worked
+Beryl looks stunning (but that works on all my other partitions as well)
+never tried the "live help" thingy, but after reading here what it does, it seems very nice for new users. I feels sorry for the poor souls in the chat if this distro gains momentum though.
+Windows/other partitions detected and qautomounter works as it should
+Dvd writer works as it should
+SMP out of the box, as expected
+wine preinstalled
+Lirc installed, my remote works. Can't remember where i put it though.
+DVD, divx, mp3, ogg, realmedia, xvid, everything is working after the install

?Haven't tested my card reader yet, but It wouldn't surprise me if it works.

-"Subwoofer" is not detected, will get it working when new drivers are released.
-Lots and lots of stuff I don't need. No option to manually choose packages to install through the installer.

Highlight:
A friend just installed Vista and wanted to show me the flashy new window manager included there.

U

Unregistered

I installed 3.26 on my Athlon 1900 a couple days ago. My machine isn't a fan of the Beryl features though :) It keeps crashing when I have Beryl turned on for too long.

My one big problem, however, is my audio. I have a SoundBlaster Live, and SL sees it, but can't always use it. Yesterday I was listening to some tunes, but today I get nothing. And the weird thing is, I can record things with my mic. So obviously, the card is working fine. Rebooting did nothing, neither did playing with the audio settings. I'm not too too familiar with Linux, particularly this distro, so I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Other than my little audio problem, I think it's a great OS. I'm so happy to be free of the vile clutches of XP!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
3.3 comes out in just a few day, you may wish to try it once it's out. I am not sure a weird technical problem like that would be fixed in this release, but it might not hurt to try if you have a broadband connection.

Either way, I'd open up a Konsole, go into super user mode (type su and then it will prompt for password) and then type in "alsaconf". It will find all the sound cards in your computer and you can make sure the correct one is selected. -Maybe- that will fix things.

J

Jason

Like the effex

Yesterday I installed sabayon 3.3 on my home computer, and i must say that i'm impressed with how little fiddling i had to do to get beryl working. my system is not very stable however. when i try to update portage or do something that requires root access it will freeze after a few minutes. i think my system might be at fault somewhat too because i have had problems with other distros too. it also tooke the installer a long time IMHO. it took around a hour and a half to two hours from the time i booted off the disc to i logged in for the first time. i tried running the installer for my laptop but the cd light just stayed lit like the computer was accessing the dvd, but i didn't see anything happening. my home system is a emachines t3422 with a nvidia 7300 gs, p4 641, and a 320gb sata h/d and dvd rom upgraded. also the installer said the partition table on the pata drive was corrupt and wanted to wipe it and start over again, however i boot windows off that drive so i know that couldn't be the case. if the distro were more stable i would switch to using it more often. looking forward to seeing how future releases turn out.

U

Unregistered

Wow...But now i need help please....

Great i am so happy to see and hear so many cool things about Sabayon...
But here is my prob...I really dont want to use windows any more as it is years that i want to get to know a unix based OS and use it regulary....Ive downloaded the Sabayon 3.1 dvd and the mini 3.3 cd the dvd does not boot...(I am so unlucky when it comes to the instaling part and i do understand partitions and so on.)and i wrote it properly as iso with nero from xp.The mini cd does boot but as i alt+f1 i see the error that the no bootable media found or no hda where to install....Strange stuff...Any way i am now downloading the dvd3.3 and i will try again....
My problems are always the starting as in making boot record or you know mount points or so on...

WHERE DO I INSTALL the linux bootloader to?????This i think is my prob..as when i was installing the ubuntu version as i reboot and grub comes up i kept getting the error 17 (could not make or find mount point.)
Now i want to use Sabayon and yes i am a total begginer to linux...but i want to lern just help me get started plzz....some one

Here is my system if some one could recommend how i should boot and install.
P3800 2xmb (am2)
Asus p5n32-sli deluxe (MBoard)
2xOCZ gold edition 1028mb ddr2 mem
2x 150gig sata (sda1=Winxp/sda2 free for use)+(1x80gig hda)
Gigabyte (nvidiaCHIP) 6600gt ultra graphics card ( ihope it picks it up )
I have gag on floppy and have partition magic7(old) on floppy too..so for booting and partitioning np...I hope...
Thank you dgambali@gmail.com

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, if it's not booting into the Live CD environment, it sounds like it's just getting halted along the way. Although, I'm unsure why it would say no bootable media found...

So... you haven't reached the live environment at all, right? One thing you might want to try is pushing F5 at the boot screen (or whatever it is so that you can see the boot parameters) and add "nolapic noapic noapci" to the end of it and try booting again, and see if that helps anything.

If it really is an issue with the hard drives, maybe reversing the order of the HDD's in the BIOS might help. Make sda1 the blank drive and sda2 the Windows drive, for example. Unless hda1 is going to be the Linux partition.

U

Unregistered

Cool ....Some one is there to help..

In fact i think some thing is only in the way....And it was with ubuntu in the grump boot page that i got the error 17 ...but any way i really want to install Sabayon...
Yeah i think it has got to do with my partitions and so on...I have disabled my hda ide as it is my backup and i had 2 150 gig sata drives in raid first with windows....yesterday i formated all and re installed win xp ( i dont know why i did not try installing sabayon on the first drive...any way i need xp on the other drive untill i get linux with internet up and running...

Ok i will try doing the f5 option and what does the "noapic...and so on options do?
Sorry for my ignorance and english as i am italian...so
Thx for your quick response
Dgambali

U

Unregistered

The lost italian

What is the most easy way to start all over like as in cleaning the MBR and doing all according to the book...As i got to istall it this evening and if it means to format all again np....

Yeah it seemed funny that booting the mini cd 3.3 it picks it up and takes you to the main menu where you have many options as i choose the first sabayon starts to load kernel and so on after a few seconds i get the alt+f1 option and doing so i see shell looking for the hda and sda's and so on then it searches for bootable media as canot find?
and at the bottom i get something like no hard drive to where install?something like that im sorry if i cant remember ...any way
i will keep on trying until i get it right even though i am frustrated at the moment...This is probely why most people go back to win...which is sad because there is so much more power with linux....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok i will try doing the f5 option and what does the "noapic...and so on options do?

They are just power related options... AM2 has a tendency to not function properly with those features in tact, so more often than not, I have to disable them on my AM2 machine. I am not saying this is your problem though, but it's worth a try.

What is the most easy way to start all over like as in cleaning the MBR and doing all according to the book...As i got to istall it this evening and if it means to format all again np....

Well, I'm really unsure if that's all necessary. The MBR shouldn't be a real issue, because Sabayon would just overwrite it. If you want though, I recommend downloading the GParted LiveCD:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

It's a partitioner that runs off of your ram, which is the safest way to do things. If you boot up with it, you could wipe that drive entirely clean and then create new partitions as you see fit. Then after rebooting, you could try the Sabayon again. I cannot guarantee this will work though... I'm not sure if that's your problem.

"and at the bottom i get something like no hard drive to where install?something like that im sorry if i cant remember ...any way"

That confuses me. What you might want to do is go back into Windows and open up a command prompt (cmd) and type in:

chkdsk /f C:

Or replace drive letter with whatever it is. If you have more than one drive, use the same command for the other one. It will tell you the drive is in use, and you will need to push Y. Once rebooted it should scan the HDD and make sure everything is good.

I am not sure why you would be running into any problems... hopefully it can get worked out.

U

Unregistered

Please can you help....i tried with the live dvd 3.3 now and

Hi
Well now i just downloaded the Sabayon live dvd 3.3 x86 version....I wrote it with iso magic and not with nero.

Great it boots until the main menu then here is what happens... no matter what option i choose from the menu.
Activating mdev...
attempting to mount media :-/dev/you know
""
""
(and it runs through all the drives and so on )Then.
No bootable medium found,waiting for new devices...
(and it runs again through all the drives)then.
umount:could not umount newroot:invalid argument
!!could not find cd to boot something else needed!
>>Determening root device...
!!the root block is unspecified or not detected.
please specify a device to boot or "shell"for a shell
boot():_

And this is what i get when i use the 3.3 mini cd and the dvd ...What can it be ?I have no exp at root and boot codes using shell but if u explain step by step i will be able...
Must i try doing the "nolapic,noapci ,noapic
Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvinience but after all i have heard about sabayon i just cant let go of this problem...
:)

U

Unregistered

thank you for your help..."please specify device to boot...."

Thank you..i am downloadin gparted-livecd now...and after the post i sent you now. im shure you understand better what the problem is...?Great i will prepare the partition in the mean time while you check what the problem could be...

Or replace drive letter with whatever it is. If you have more than one drive, use the same command for the other one. It will tell you the drive is in use, and you will need to push Y. Once rebooted it should scan the HDD and make sure everything is good.

I am not sure why you would be running into any problems... hopefully it can get worked out.[/QUOTE]

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No, this has nothing to do with the noapic/etc boot codes, so ignore those. That is one bizarre problem you are having though... I don't understand it. I don't have a Sabayon CD handy so I can't boot up with it and figure out a problem but what I do recommend is downloading an IRC client and hitting up the freenode.net network and joining the #sabayon channel. Chances are somewhere there will have seen this problem before and will be able to help you out.

Let me know how you make out with GParted. I do recommend joining the #sabayon channel and asking there though. Those guys have crossed all these problems before, I'm sure.

P4000-OCZ

Obliviot
Ok...Thx NP

No, this has nothing to do with the noapic/etc boot codes, so ignore those. That is one bizarre problem you are having though... I don't understand it. I don't have a Sabayon CD handy so I can't boot up with it and figure out a problem but what I do recommend is downloading an IRC client and hitting up the freenode.net network and joining the #sabayon channel. Chances are somewhere there will have seen this problem before and will be able to help you out.

Let me know how you make out with GParted. I do recommend joining the #sabayon channel and asking there though. Those guys have crossed all these problems before, I'm sure.

Great and thank you,i joined as you can see and i will do as you told me..
I am really unlucky with linux instalations...in the last 10 years i have tried to install many types but only mandrake and suse worked but it was not even as close to sabayon....
I will hopefully find the prob in the mean time i am going to load with the gparted cd and see what happens...cool ...;)
thx again..
Ciao ciao "The lost Italian"
dgambali