Recent RIAA Case: $1.5 Million for Sharing 24 Songs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Over the years, we've posted a fair number of news items regarding various aspects of piracy, and though there have been different subjects to tackle, there's been a common theme. If it's a single person we're talking about on the opposite side of the RIAA, the outcome is rarely desirable. In the recent case of Jammie Thomas, the outcome is just that, as you could likely guess from the title of this news post.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
How about they drop the fine down to $500? Clearly they do not care about the amount of the fine, otherwise they would not have dropped it to $25,000 at one point. They simply want to make an example out of someone to try and scare people away from doing what they did.

I do not know about you but shelling out $500 would be a big inconvenience but one that is not outside of my means. It would sure make me think twice of doing it again because I do not like wasting money that could be better spent elsewhere.

killem2

Coastermaker
Yeah this was a joke of a case and won't stop anything. People will still pirate and download music. I have to laugh though at using Kazaa. The last time I remember using that program was like 2002. I didn't even know it was still around after 2005 +...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I think I read this the other day before it was posted. All I can say is, WOW... what a fucking crime!

That the RIAA has committed that is.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
A group of young people to get together to protest such things and make them known in the national media.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but today's young people seem so apathetic, I think martial law could be declared, and none of them would care.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I still say if people cannot take the time to properly secure their computer and erase their tracks online, especially those that do illegal things, deserve their punishments. Sure the fines are excessive, even the 25K fine was excesive, but they ARE comitting a crime. You cannot excuse that fact. It is also no secret the RIAA is out to punish people unfairly quite publicly so that makes me far less sympathetic to pirates.

Make her walk the plank......

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Stop calling it pirating. It is copy right infringement. No more, no less.

At no point was an act of piracy committed. They are using a word to try to conjure of a more negative image of the act, and thus get more support for their billionaire clients.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm thinking the term pirating can work both ways. It may make those who are not up to speed on this thing called the interwebz more sympathetic towards the RIAA and the people who are losing money because of it and it may make those who are up to speed think that they are rebelling against the norm and sticking it to the man.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
And in the meantime, record companies can keep increasing the album prices. Maybe that'll make more people buy them.
Maybe they need to start pressing them on DVD's instead of CD's. Have you priced each and compared them?

CRIPES!

Oh, and I'm surprised nobody has made a poop deck joke yet.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
riaa.jpg