Problems Arise with Seagate's Momentus XT Mobile HDDs

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Seagate's Momentus XT mobile hard drive is one-of-a-kind on the consumer side of things, as it pairs a mechanical drive with some NAND flash commonly found in SSDs, and in the end delivers great performance. It's effective because it allows the most common files to be read from the flash, while the rest of the data is on the hard drive portion. As we discovered in our review a couple of months ago, this design can be incredibly effective.

seagate_momentus_xt_022111.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
A problem like this should've been spotted quickly by their Q&A team before they launched the drive.... I find it hard to believe they wouldn't spot it during the firmware testing and drive testing phases.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I like my Caviar Black and still use it for my games. They make great mechanical boot drives if you don't have the bank for a Raptor or a SSD but Rob is right. Go SSD if you can. You'll have more advanced storage tech than he will. :p

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'll second that. Either stick with a hard drive, or get a full SSD. I like the concept of the Momentus XT, but I think it could use some refining first or at least a lower price premium.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
For the desktop, I wouldn't. There, I'd just suck it up and get an SSD, then a Caviar Green for all of the storage.

hmm... well i have the WD Greens for storage! Just need a good boot drive! :D

I like my Caviar Black and still use it for my games. They make great mechanical boot drives if you don't have the bank for a Raptor or a SSD but Rob is right. Go SSD if you can. You'll have more advanced storage tech than he will. :p
Haha!:p

I'll second that. Either stick with a hard drive, or get a full SSD. I like the concept of the Momentus XT, but I think it could use some refining first or at least a lower price premium.

Well, i'll stick with a Caviar Black for now! SSD Later! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
If you don't care about AHCI, you can just make an image. If you do, there's a registry edit that you can do that will apparently let you set it up.

MacLover

Obliviot
I return to an quite old topic but I think that I find a very helpful video about resolving the problems of Seagate Momentus with just a few clicks.
One significant advantage of this video is that it demonstrates an easy solution useful for less advanced users that will come to this post. Actually drives like Barracuda ES, Barracuda ES.2 , Barracuda DM001, series and more, with similar symptoms can be repared the same way.