PNY PR Horrors

H

Hardcase

Welcome to the Techgage cheerleader forum, starring members of the Techgage "staff".

Alexa stats are notoriously suspect. And ad hominem attacks are just what I expected to see.

Congrats - 22,780 today. Thank HardOCP for your performance, such as it is, I guess. I see that your traffic spikes whenever they link to you.

And for the sarcastic Alexa fans out there, Tom's Hardware is 1,243 today. Techgage who?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you think most of our traffic comes from HardOCP, you are sorely mistaken. Perhaps you are not even an enthusiast yourself since you believe quality only resides with popular sites "you've heard of". Quite the mindset there.

"I see that your traffic spikes whenever they link to you."

"Nobodies" ever heard of us, yet you have analyzed our Alexa to the extent that you notice spikes whenever HardOCP links to us?

What exactly is your obsession with Toms Hardware? Of course they rank higher than us... they have been around for over 10 years, as opposed to our year and a half.

Regardless of why you decide to come in here and go on a needless rant, it's funny that we don't "exist" yet you are here. If we are such a bad site... just leave. Simple as that..

Just because we are small doesn't mean our site is "non-existant". Thanks for admitting to be a fanboi of one of the largest tech sites around though... My sister once had an obsession like that... but it involved a boy band. Well, not a far stretch I guess.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I've heard great things about Tom's, in fact that's the whole reason I never frequent the site. Actually I went there once to read a review comparing a Celeron to a Duron. The author used several real world benchmarks and canned benchmarks. When his fave the Duron would lead in a particular bench he'd pimp how relevent the benchmark was but when the Celeron would lead he'd discount the same benchmark by saying it was optimized for Intel or that it was a synthetic benchmark and wasn't to be trusted.

After that bit of blatant fanboism I decided I'd be better served to just avoid Tom's altogether. Go back to Tom's, you deserve each other.

BTW, 22K isn't our daily rank, it's our monthly average.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Meh, we have been pulled into a pissing match.

I read Tom's articles. I like Tom's articles. I love their networking coverage. That does not take away from what we have done here.

Let it die. This is lame.

Lonewolf

Obliviot
I can add to the PNY troubles. I had purchased a 6200 earlier this year and after using it for about 6 months it died on me. I started the RMA process and it took me 2 weeks to get an RMA #. I sent my card in and 3 weeks later I received a new card back.

I opened the new card up so I could install it and noticed it had no cooling fan like my other card did. I called PNY and complained about it and they told me they made some changes to the card and it did not require a cooling fan anymore just a heatsink. I then asked about the warranty on this card and I was told it would only be the balance of the 1 year warranty that was left on my first card.

Well I got screwed there because on the PNY site it says that when you register your new card you get an extra years warranty for a total of 2 years. Now I’m trying to figure out why they sent me a card with no cooling fan since they said the new card would be the same as the one I had replaced, lie #1. Then I only get a warranty of around 5 months on the replacement card when it should be a full 2 years IMO but they said when they have to replace a card the new one only gets the balance of the 1 year warranty and that’s it, lie #2 on a 2 year warranty. I was then told if I was to put any other type of cooling device on the card other than the plain heatsink no fan that they sent on the replacement card that the warranty was voided. Their RMA support sucks more then a vacum does.

Well I guess I will never buy another PNY product again.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I don't blame you at all. I know that I'll never own another PNY product again. I'm well shed of them from what I've heard. I'm just lucky that I never had to RMA anything.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
To the PNY: Man am i kinda glad you didnt talk me into that one thing by PNY when i was building my comp Mat. Ive read a few product reviews for them and all that I have ever seen was a mix of either 5*s or 1*. I am sad to hear that you were treated like shit. reminds me a run in with a software company i had... *am having since i discovered a trojan left over from them*

To the fanboi... man I was once a real hardcore fanboi of warcraft... untill WoW that is. So im curious, are you upset at the comments made against PNY or that Techgage pwns? or both? I have been hitting this site up since pre launch, and I love the place. These guys talk to people! They help you out if you have a problem without writting you off as a n00b. Ive learnt alot form them. They help me build my first rig! (and will prob help me do my first OC sometime soon) And no i dont mean in a swarm of feedback or ignoring me for a month, I mean occasionaly in real time! I dont feel that i would get such a response.

@ the CC coment... ah... much lurve to CC crew... If only they sold cooler shit for a decent price and hired my ass when I needed a job.

P.s. I am not on staff... and I would have replied ot this earlier had I not had some girl drama. What now?

Last edited:
J

Jonas

No more PNY Products for me...

Goodness, I can't remember what Christmas it was, my mom-in-law got me a PNY Nvidia Personal Cinema FX, and it was pretty slick. Component, s-video, and rca inputs, and a dvi output with a converter. I was stoked!
Well, that's until I wanted to update the drivers. As soon as that happened, the video inputs were completely useless with the supplied software.
Then MS-XP SP2 got released, and I get the BSOD. Apparently, the card did not work with SP2 while using any N-Vidia released drivers. And it was *months* until they publicly released an SP2 patch. They haven't even released updated drivers since they released the card! The driver they have for the card is for version 56.77, and NVidia is on v93.71!
From what I understand, they only released the SP2 patch after getting harassed by the consumers about the card not working.
And the other day I upgraded to IE7 on that box and I've gotten nothing but the BSOD. I'm just hazarding a guess that there's prolly a video issue.
So nope, no more PNY for this sysadmin.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I hate to defend PNY (as they're as civilized as a bunch of baboons) but that's an nVidia issue. PNY doesn't write the drivers, nVidia does.

J

Jonas

Yeah, they write the base drivers. In my experience vendors that build out a card that use a particular chipset (whether it be video or audio, and I've seen it in several of the SCSI and Fiber cards I've used) is that they will take the base drivers and patch them to work a specific way with the card that they built out. I've seen it done to tack on extra functionality (usually). I've gathered that this is the case with this card, since I haven't seen a card that quite works the same on the same chipset.
And they *did* write the patch as well.

U

Unregistered

hi

I'm sorry for not registering, it is late and I'm lazy. I just think that PNY was fouling around with you guys and that really sucks.

I purchased a PNY verto 4400, you know the old Nvidia and back in those day, OH BOY the service over PNY was the best. I had a couple of issues with my card but they exchanged it for free with a new one. In addition, they did pay for the shipping in both ways.

I do not want to take any sides as i do no know the full details of the story but if you had copies of the e-mails that were sent both ways it would be awesome as it would show what really happen. Also I would strongly recommend that you use facsimile as much as possible so when there a problem you have proofs.

I run a business part time and i can tell you that the more written proofs you have the better it is. as most verbal agreements generally don't mean a lot much.

Anyway i really feel sorry for you guys as I hate it as much as the next guy when people are wasting my time.

Good luck,
Mike,
wut_goin_on@yahoo.com

madmat

Soup Nazi
Hey Mike, how's it going? Yeah, PNY used to be a good company to deal with and that's the real tragedy here. I had that same exact card, the purple PCB was pimp wasn't it? Back in those days they didn't jack people around nor their resellers but as you've likely seen in this thread they're losing resellers due to their service slipping so badly. Hopefully someone in charge will decide that this way of treating customers is self defeating and straighten things out.

As should be apparent PNY must not care about PR any longer since no-one is doing any reviews of any of their products these days. to quickly touch on the emails, I had one email from their old rep and that's it, the rest was over the phone since after that first email I couldn't get an answer via email.

Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, until they get their acts together PNY is dead to me. I'll advise everyone to avoid them like the plauge and instead go with a class act such as EVGA.

U

Unregistered

hello folks, been reading about the pny problems so get this --- pny sent me a refund check that bounced !!! now that's pretty sad.

moon111

Coastermaker
Having sent many a review request out, the typical feedback is nothing. I understand how many zillion requests they must get. But jeez it would be nice to get some reply, even if it is a no. One company really impressed me stating they looked at the site's traffic rating and it wasn't enough. That was cool with me. The worst I've faced was someone offering to sell me something at a 'discount'. This PNY situation sounds completely frustrating and unprofessional. But having dealt with companies in the past, this usually is an indication of where a company stands. Do you think a company that won't even reply to a member of the press is going to treat a customer any better? On the flip side, I've done some reviews for Brother Canada. Their products, support, service were always A1. But when I stated my old printer would be going to a local non-profit that my wife helps out with... Brother, without batting an eyelash, gave that non-profit charity a new multifunction unit that otherwise they couldn't of afforded. Granted this is a very large company, but seeing that they support Children's Foundations, Cancer research, etc... you can't help but think, they're not only trying to gain from their profits, but give back as well. Really it's people that make or break a company.