PNY PR Horrors

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As you can imagine, we deal with PR day in and day out. More times than not, companies are completely responsive and friendly to deal with. PNY is the first company that we've dealt with that have proved to be an absolute headache.

Read Matts full impressions of PNY here. Feel free to discuss it when done reading!

M

Maus

uhmm, so you mean that experience and behavior is not normal? Sounds just totally familiar to me.....

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Are you talking about your personal experiences with PNY or just companies in general.

madmat

Soup Nazi
uhmm, so you mean that experience and behavior is not normal? Sounds just totally familiar to me.....

It's abnormal as far as my experiences have been. I've been ignored and bluntly told no more times than I care to think about but to be led around like a pack mule with a carrot dangling on a string, no. That's not normal.

U

Unregistered

I purchased a video card from PNY. It was to have 256 memory but instead came with only 128.. After calling them, they offered me a USB 128 drive to make up the difference. I told them I wanted my money back. I sent in the video card (at my expense) and said I wanted the cost of the video card, the shipping costs (both ways) and the sales tax I had paid. After a little more than a year I finally received a refund for just the cost of the card. This was after dealing with the supposed president of PNY who is also a joke. I believe he said his name is Wolvers. It's easy to see where the PR people get their attitude. It comes down from the top. I'll never again purchase a PNY product. I also influence the decisions of a large number of peoples buying habits and they'll never purchase a PNY product either.

Bob Gleason
bobgleason@gmail.com

U

Unregistered

Might I suggest adding a link to the forums at the bottom of the article where it says "Feel free to head into our forums"

I don't frequent the site, but that's my 0.02

madmat

Soup Nazi
Bob, there's normally a link, dunno why it's not there and I'm sorry that PNY treated you so badly. It just goes to show that they need to rethink how they deal with people. To treat a prospective reviewer shoddy is one thing, we're only attempting to review their product but to treat a customer like that is horrible. Customers pay their wages and without them they're not going very far.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
There is a link. If you click on the word "forums" in the discuss this in the forums sentence, it will take you where you want to go. I just happens to be a mid/dark shade of blue and on some monitors, it blends in really well with the other text.

H

Hardcase

So...some web page that nobody's ever heard of tries to beg a video card from a manufacturer and gets the runaround. Big surprise there! The fact that the shipping address is your home ought to be a clue to PNY that this isn't exactly Tom's Hardware.

You want to review the card? Buy it. Then do your review. Sell the card on Ebay or give it away to your readers. At least then you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that it wasn't cherry picked or that your integrity is in question for taking a freebie. Besides, if you can't afford to buy it, then, just maybe, you're not in the right business.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Perhaps you should stick to Toms then Hardcase since they are the go to guys for tech news and reviews. Besides, we are just a site that no one has heard of so why waste your time.

And what does being able to afford hardware have to do with anything? It really doesn't. The fact of the matter is that this company lied to one of our editors for 6 months straight. No one deserves that. Not the media and certainly not the customer.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
After calling them, they offered me a USB 128 drive to make up the difference.

It's humurous that they believe a 128MB thumb drive makes up for the memory lost in the GPU. Regardless, that's some rough times... I've had the same issues with BFG also... but I -did- end up getting it straightened out in the end for the most part.

S

Sam

I agree that a simple no from the start will be enough, at least they wont get any bad publicity. Well I guess PNY is not mature enough as a company to understand what a good PR is. I wonder how they handle such bad publicity like this :D

If PNY doubt techgage credibility, at least they ask for some kind of terms and conditions that must be met to be eligible for receiving a sample product. That way both sides will be happy.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Even a simple no from the new rep would've made me happy, not being told "I'll ship it on blah blah day" and pretend it had been done. Their loss not mine, I will never, ever use another PNY product in my lifetime.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If PNY doubt techgage credibility, at least they ask for some kind of terms and conditions that must be met to be eligible for receiving a sample product. That way both sides will be happy.

I agree with you there.. and we've done that in the past. However, we've posted almost 270 reviews with products from 80 different companies. Not sure how much more cred we need :)

Still, your point makes perfect sense to me.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I had 2 PNY cards that I *purchased* that went bad. The second one actually damaged the motherboard on failure, so I will *never* purchase another PNY card. Here is a telling stat. Circuit City used to sell PNY, now they don't... I talked to a person behind the counter @ CC one day, and made an off the cuff remark about the several boxes of PNY product I saw back there on return. His quote reverbs in my head today, "You throw enough crap out there... some of it will stick." I asked him, "So, the returns are high?" And he just nodded in agreement. One store, one employee, does not make a bad company, but 2 bad user experiences, 1 bad RMA experience, and a retailer that is saying that PNY product returns are way out of line, and indirectly using the crap metaphor... well, that made up my mind. So, apologies, it does not surprise me that your service is what it was. :(

Now... if Hardcase felt the need to slam a site that he/she obviously knows *nothing* about, I can only imagine the difficulties he has relating "one on one" and asking people for a straight answer. All webs start somewhere, and Techgage has been steadily growing. Alexa tracks the top 100,000 websites, and techgage is (as of last check) sitting in the 32k range. That is a good userbase to keep a ranking like that.... don't knock it by making some generalized statement about a "site nobody has heard of". Just because *you* had never heard of it, does *not mean that "Nobody" has ever heard of it. You don speak for me, nor do you speak for the 1000's of IP's that hit here on a regular basis.

If this issue was lost on him/her so much that he/she felt the need to try and slam the site... then it just goes to show how lacking he/she is regarding interpersonal skills and simple honesty.

It is a shame that PNY could not recognize the site for what it could have been.... a positive PNY experience.

Last edited: