Planned versus consequential upgrades

Discussion in 'General Technology' started by madmat, Aug 29, 2014.

How do you upgrade?

1. I plan my upgrades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I upgrade when parts fail

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I just fix it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Upgrades? I move from totally new build to new build

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. madmat

madmat Soup Nazi

Jun 16, 2005
    No soup for you!
    My new to me GTX470 will be here today which is my first planned PC upgrade in four years. I did a consequential upgrade last year when my main and storage drives failed and I moved to bigger drives and moved my storage drive to an external unit but that wasn't planned and as I say, it was a consequence of the failure of my existing drives.

This brings me to the pertinent question, how many of your PC upgrades are planned and how many are a result of the need to replace a failed part?

I meant to add an option to for both planned and consequential to the poll but I muffed it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Optix

Optix Basket Chassis Staff Member

Dec 15, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My answer is a combination of two - I replace what fails, but for the most part, NOW I go from new rig to new rig.

That is of course subject to change based on the thickness of my wallet.

3. Tom Roeder

Tom Roeder Obliviot Staff Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I've been known to have intermittent issues that I can logically pin down to a local area - inside the tower somewhere. This leads me to replace some parts, then others...then I find out it was just a crappy NVIDIA driver....Oh well, at least I got a bunch of new stuff!

4. madmat

madmat Soup Nazi

Jun 16, 2005
    No soup for you!
    I know that feeling. Not with NV drivers per se but with drivers in general.