PC Parts (used in a awesome build)

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Ok now, this is probably going to be a fairly long review since I am reviewing several parts that I used to build my cousins PC. The parts list is:
Maxcube Vortex 36 series (3620)
AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE
Stock AMD 955BE Cooler
Biostar TA890GXB HD
OCZ 1066 Mhz 4GB Kit DDR3 (2x2GB)
Antec TruePower New 550 Watt

First off I am only reviewing the case, cpu, mobo, and the PSU. The HDD only gets a mention here, its a 500GB refurb (WD I believe) Smart info says its in great condition and it was only $30 or so. On to the case, 1st some quick pics of the box.

100_3972.jpg

100_3977.jpg

(The side with specs is nicely covered in shipping stickers)
100_3974.jpg

Personally I really like the case, it looks nice and its fairly sturdy for about $35. My main complaint would be that the far side needs to be deeper to store cables better but I made due (it was insanely hard to get on so its not coming off unless it really has too). Surprisingly this case has some features I wish my Antec 900 had, for example tool free mounting and 4 usb up front, and a mobo cutout below the cpu area. It also has wall to wall black coloring inside and out but no window so why is the inside black? My 900 with a window was lame grey and cost a great deal more.

It has plenty of room for pretty much whatever you could possibly want to put in this case. The only thing on the case that was changed was the exhaust fan, the stock fans that come with the case are just slow (800 RPM) so I replaced the exhaust since I put a 8600GT in it which runs fairly hot.

100_3977.jpg

Left Panel
100_3978.jpg

Right Panel
100_3980.jpg

100_3981.jpg

(yes this Mobo has 3 headers for usb ports)

100_3982.jpg

100_3984.jpg

I have to say it looks pretty good cable wise, if I were to build another PC I would probably use this case again. The processor was great, I got a boxed one local and it unlocked to x4 and OCed to 3.6 Ghz no problem first try pretty much, it runs great no weird problems that I have noticed. So its stable, no crashes or anything.

The board is great as well, supposedly it can lock ram settings at anything you set, dunno for sure since I locked it at 1066 since my OC attempts on the ram didn't go so well so I locked it but then in windows it said 1200, either way the board is great no problems at all with it. It also has a few nice extra features like onboard power and reset switches, that was great for my testing on it.

The psu was a steal at roughly half price and its semi modular, had it not been semi modular it would have made this case a complete mess with all the cables.

All in all for around $355 it is a great little PC, 4GB DDR3 3.6 Ghz x4 500 Gb HDD 8600GT OEM CD/DVD reader/writer and an Antec 550 PSU. The only thing it could use is a GPU upgrade but for him it is a massive upgrade, his laptop which this replaces had a 6150m vs the onboard ATI Radeon 4290 or the 8600GT. It beasts all over his old laptop the only thing it needs is a monitor, anyone care to recommend one?

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Mwahaha! I have your address now, sucka!

Nice looking case. The same one is available under the Apex brand and I -think- the general design is used in one of the Xigmatek cases.

I love budget PC's. It's my mission now to get the most for the least when at all possible. Great build.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
hahaha I am not too worried bout that, if I had noticed I probably would have cut or blurred it out, anyways I aint doing so good today..... I was on my way home from school and some woman hit us and my face is all busted up from the airbag and my cornea is scratched on my right eye so I cant see outta it like at all, it hurts to open it and even then its extremely blurry.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Christ man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everyone else in the car is alright.

Nice build. That's a very respectable machine you have there.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
yea everyone is ok and I am getting better. My eye is doing a bit better already which is good, I gotta get it looked at again tomorrow.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Yikes! That's what terrifies me when my wife is late picking me up. I trust her driving but it's the other douche bags that aren't paying attention.

Get better soon!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a sweet build :D That chassis for that price looks like a steal. All built, it looks great! I'm constantly impressed by what you get for your money these days...

DarkStarr said:
it was insanely hard to get on so its not coming off unless it really has too

LOL! That's a feeling I know all too well. It seriously sucks when you get everything perfect, and then realize you need to tear it back down a bit to fix something you overlooked.

Optix said:
Mwahaha! I have your address now, sucka!

I thought the same thing, haha.

DarkStarr said:
anyways I aint doing so good today..... I was on my way home from school and some woman hit us and my face is all busted up from the airbag and my cornea is scratched on my right eye so I cant see outta it like at all, it hurts to open it and even then its extremely blurry.

Ugh man, sorry to hear that! How did your eye get scratched? You wear glasses or something?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
No it was something from the airbag I'm assuming, the scratch is healed over but not smoothed over and its still inflamed so everything is still pretty blurry but it seems to be doing OK so far, still kinda sore just blinking let alone trying to touch it, even with a towel after a shower. I was wearing my contacts at the time of the accident.

LOL! That's a feeling I know all too well. It seriously sucks when you get everything perfect, and then realize you need to tear it back down a bit to fix something you overlooked.

Yea I hate it, and I may end up replacing the 8600GT in there with my 5750 so I can get a 6850 but who knows at this point, I gotta talk to my cousin on it, if he wants it the I probably will. That would then mean opening the side to pull a PCIe cable out and put it into the case so it would be a pain but then maybe it would go back on easier.