PC Cases

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, that's amazing. Do they give you high-rez photos to keep that they took?

Can't wait man, hope the article turns out awesome.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I Was told that they would let me have access to the images... but as of yet, I've not seen any....
;)

Think I'll drop an email while I am thinking about it....
:)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Currently I'm using a Lian Li PC6070 case that I've lightly massaged to accept dual 80mm radiators on the rear of the mobo tray and put a small window in along with a 120mm blowhole.

minicase.jpg

RES1.jpg

Although I'm really considering going back to my old case and putting a top window where the radiator was. The old case is a Kingwin KT424-WMB and will accept the Lian Li mobo tray so it would be a simple swap as to the W/C gear.

Mattpcpic101-2.jpg

I'd like to keep using the Lian Li but the metal at the top of the case really makes working on the top two 5.25" drive bays a pain in the rear.

InnerView-Filled.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Still waiting to see that issue online.. they have their nerve for being slow. Hell, it's almost November :)

Blumen

Coastermaker
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cases/raidmax_scorpio_668/

^That's what i have, but sometime's i wonder if they reviewed the same case...

Mine has room for 7x80mm fans, not five as they say.
4 in front,
2 in back
1 in side

It's also no fun whatsoever to work on. There's plenty of space, but every right angle is sharp as hell. It cools extremely well though, as they say. But, in my old age, it's getting a little too flashy for me, so, i guess on to a brushed aluminum case. :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Man, GRATS! That article turned out awesome :D

I can't wait until my paper issue get's here, although they are usually late so it won't be until January, haha.

Deadly man :cool:

Blumen

Coastermaker
I put my rig back in a case today.

^Before the project... this is left over from the last rig that was in there... that's the old AN7

^The one redeeming quality of this case: That's 168cfm of intake there...

^Asus v9999 with slight mod

^My room during the operation... How many mobos/mobo boxes can you spy?

Blumen

Coastermaker

^30 minute in... the psu did not want to fit in there... so i had to take off the fan grill again

^Every molex you see there goes to a fan... Wiring is a pain in the ass on this case if you want it to look decent.

^Everything is in....

^Final result... i'll get some better pics up in the dark when i figure out how to change the shutter time on my camera.

So that's what i did, starting at about 1am... sorry to bore you, but i'm bored as well, obviously.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Hehehe... you guys ROCK!
A stork.... hrmmm, dunno.... You just want a stork on a window? or are you wanting a laser etched sunset (side lit with re/orange/yellow LED's) behind it?
All depends on what you want to do? ;)

Would not be too difficult I dont think, but a storks spindly legs are giving me nightmares just thinking about it right now!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ciento, you need to grab some canned air. Other than that, your rig is kick ass :D

Tech, I still haven't gotten my issue. Call CPU up for me and tell them to hurry up. Hehe kidding! I hate getting all my issues a month late, but I guess that's what you get when you are a canuck :(

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ciento... wiremanagement is that biggest bitch of any good case.
You will be doing yourself a favor, when you do a little bit of research and start experimenting with basic soldering. Learn to consolidate all of those fan leads into 1 or 2, instead of the smattering that you are dealing with right now.

As you get further into case modding, and start dealing with lighting, and active accessories, the molex problem only gets worse.

Custom cabling has been the answer for my last 2 rigs, and it will be incorporated into the next rig that I'm working on currently. Look around a few of hte modding sites, and just nose around. See how some of the others have done it, there are a lot of tricks out there that can save you a buttload of clutter, and take your case "over that hurdle" and put it on the next level.

You have a great baseline case (I giggled when I saw that video card mod, borderline ghetttoooe, I love it! How's the performance?), now, wrangle thos remaining strays into a manageable bundle. Stop off at an auto parts store, and grab one of their bins of zip ties when they are on sale, and go nucking futz with them! You can zip tie cables to obscure and unseen portions of case framework, that will tuck them out of sight and make people wonder, "Daaaamn??!? How'd he do dat?!?!"

;)
Good luck, and keep it up!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Rob Williams said:
Tech, I still haven't gotten my issue. Call CPU up for me and tell them to hurry up. Hehe kidding! I hate getting all my issues a month late, but I guess that's what you get when you are a canuck :(

Got my copy in the mail the end of last week... I've only read 2 pages... how bad is that of me?!? ;)

Well, when your mail is delivered by dog sled... I'm *sure delivery times are going to sag a wee bit!!

I'm kidding! I kid! All in jest!

Hehehe, my mail is deeee-livered by a JEN-UU-WINE TAY-KSUS boyeeee!! (And dont you dare think for a minute that I dont worry about that guy sometimes!):eek:
;)

Blumen

Coastermaker
Tech-Daddy said:
Ciento... wiremanagement is that biggest bitch of any good case.
You will be doing yourself a favor, when you do a little bit of research and start experimenting with basic soldering. Learn to consolidate all of those fan leads into 1 or 2, instead of the smattering that you are dealing with right now.

As you get further into case modding, and start dealing with lighting, and active accessories, the molex problem only gets worse.

Custom cabling has been the answer for my last 2 rigs, and it will be incorporated into the next rig that I'm working on currently. Look around a few of hte modding sites, and just nose around. See how some of the others have done it, there are a lot of tricks out there that can save you a buttload of clutter, and take your case "over that hurdle" and put it on the next level.

You have a great baseline case (I giggled when I saw that video card mod, borderline ghetttoooe, I love it! How's the performance?), now, wrangle thos remaining strays into a manageable bundle. Stop off at an auto parts store, and grab one of their bins of zip ties when they are on sale, and go nucking futz with them! You can zip tie cables to obscure and unseen portions of case framework, that will tuck them out of sight and make people wonder, "Daaaamn??!? How'd he do dat?!?!"

;)
Good luck, and keep it up!

Thanks man, and actually i do go a little more hardcore on the wiring, such as not having those damn ribbon cables in the case, and i'll route the wiring around better, but i'm parting this rig out very shortly. The ram is already sold, i have someone that may want the mobo, the cpu will be extremely easy to get a good price on Ebay.

Yeah, the ghetto mod, that's what i call it anway. It seems to help... I've unlocked all the pipes and shaders on it, and i clock it at my 24/7 clock at 400/1000 from 350/1000 stock. This is the 6800Ultra clocks i believe. It will pass Coolbits at 435/1170, but i can go much higher in Powerstrip, around 460/1200, so we're starting to talk serious performance.

I may be voltmodding it in the future, so we'll see where that takes me, although i'll need different cooling at that point.

Thanks for the ideas on the soldering, i'll have to try that in my new rig.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
Am using a slightly modified Enlight 7237 case from late 90s, spray painted a dark purple with a 92mm fan just over the CPU on the side and an 80mm fan lower and closer to the vid card. I am looking to getting the Soprano II from Antec shortly after christmas

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
very nice custom cases guys. I saw the one custom case by Tech daddy. Very cool case man. Do you guys remember the bright yellow hypersonic case on the cover of the September 2004 edition of CPU mag? Now thats a case I could drool over, simple lines, bright and eye catching...almost gives me a .....nvm you guys dont want to hear about that.

Kilamon

E.M.I.
madmat said:
Currently I'm using a Lian Li PC6070 case that I've lightly massaged to accept dual 80mm radiators on the rear of the mobo tray and put a small window in along with a 120mm blowhole.

The water cooling kit on the back makes me think of a chemistry lab or something, like http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev25-34/83754.jpg. It's be pretty sweet if you modded that lian-li to look like some sort of mad scientist thing with the Green Liquid CCFL. Put some bio hazard stickers on there and you're set.