PC Cases

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I dont mind at all!
First thing would be for me to forward my work log:
Click here for my work log...

That will show you a lot of the "how"

Main thing to remember when you are using a dremel or a jigsaw is to be patient. My rule whil I was cutting was "I can still take off, but I cant put back on."

I burned through a ton of reinforced cutting disks, and used some of the smaller disks that I'd worn down, to work in the smaller areas.

When I wanted a good, hard point, I tried to use lighter, more narrow cutting wheels. Worked to some extent.

Also, get a good set of metal files and watch those edges! I cant count the number of times I jabbed a sharp flame tip into (and in one case through) my finger.

My next bit of precision equipment will be a drill press. Hopefully in a few weeks after I clear a spot in the garage for it.

Get a good dremel (not battery powered), and watch the sales at Lowes or Home Depot for the multi bit rotary tool set sales. You can get some killer deals when you buy those kits of bits! ;)

Hope this helps!

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Tech-Daddy said:
I dont mind at all!
First thing would be for me to forward my work log:
Click here for my work log...

That will show you a lot of the "how"

Main thing to remember when you are using a dremel or a jigsaw is to be patient. My rule whil I was cutting was "I can still take off, but I cant put back on."

I burned through a ton of reinforced cutting disks, and used some of the smaller disks that I'd worn down, to work in the smaller areas.

When I wanted a good, hard point, I tried to use lighter, more narrow cutting wheels. Worked to some extent.

Also, get a good set of metal files and watch those edges! I cant count the number of times I jabbed a sharp flame tip into (and in one case through) my finger.

My next bit of precision equipment will be a drill press. Hopefully in a few weeks after I clear a spot in the garage for it.

Get a good dremel (not battery powered), and watch the sales at Lowes or Home Depot for the multi bit rotary tool set sales. You can get some killer deals when you buy those kits of bits! ;)

Hope this helps!

Awesome man... great info!

Kilamon

E.M.I.
Tech-Daddy said:

Check out the Skil XShop. It has a drill press and a few other options that are all contained in a small footprint.

Kilamon

E.M.I.
So, my case USED to be a shell. An old case I had bought at the beginning of the pre-mod era, when beige cases still eigned supreme. I think I got it from coolcases.com and the steel frame of it was all that I really kept. I screwed the pooch on trying to customize it and the cooling was never very efficient so it sat as an open shell for 2-3 years. Now, however, that I have a job, I bought a case. :D Did lots of research and found one that I liked and got good reviews. It's an MGE Quantum XG (Black). Much love for this case. I only have one gripe and that's the same one all the reviews had; the power button is inside the door. Taking some inspiration from Vin's XXX, I plan to do a hidden power button just under the front bezel. I have the button and some parts from the old case so it should just be a matter of planning and proper cutting once I have some time.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Kilamon said:
Check out the Skil XShop. It has a drill press and a few other options that are all contained in a small footprint.

THAT.... is an Excellent bit of engineering!!!
Wow!
I might just have to save up for that instead of just the press only!!! I've alreay got several of the tools that the XShop would need!

W00T!!

One other thing... any of you homies get a subscription to MaximumPC... go check the new June issue's Rig of the Month...
go ahead... I'll wait!
;)
:D

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Will Nave:

I am using the same Antec SOHO case as you except I am sporting the black version. I absolutly love that case and it's sturdy as hell and just as heavy! It can be a bit loud when filled up with the 4 80mm's but its well worth it. I am about to mod mine with a window install and then I am going to start in on a water cooling project but thats down the road a bit. Its a great case with ample room in it to spare. 60 bucks is a great price, I paid 120 for mine at Best Buy last year and I thought that I got a deal!

Kilamon

E.M.I.
Update:
Pics of my case: -1- -2- -3-

I'm looking in to replacing the side mesh with acrylic, possibly keeping the mesh and just adding the acrylic layer (to reduce dust) and then painting it. I'm still considering how I want to paint it. I definately want to add a black light ccfl to make the dfi board's slots jump out more and I'm considering the replacement of the stock chipset cooler for one that's quieter, but maybe the acrylic will cut that noise factor down.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
My most recient rig completed, is my wife's. It was a Coolermaster Centurion CAC-T05:

lupine_1.jpg

lupine_3.jpg

lupine_6.jpg

final_internal4.jpg

Working on my next Coolermaster case now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Geez man, that looks kick ass! I love the engravings and wolf theme. I never thought I'd like purple on a case mod, but I was definitely wrong.

Are those custom made molex coverings? They look freaking sweet :cool:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
The cabling is a custom 4 black wire setup, using black 90 degree molexes. I then wrapped all of hte cabling in purple springs from www.lizard-tree.com .

I hear ya on the purple. One of the best compliments I got was a person who PM'd me saying that he did not know that CM made a purple case... I Had to tell him that they didn't, and it was a full repaint/mod...

Never heard from them again...
;)

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Yeah I have a Centurion from Coolermaster without the side window. It looked cool when I just had an XP-90 inside, since I had the side panel actually on the case. Ever since I switched to an oversized radiator for my watercooled system, though, I had to take it off, since I didn't feel like ripping up this case....and I might get Thermaltake's Tai-Chi case towards the end of the year, if not middle of January, and use all the spare parts (including this Centurion) to set up my old computer for sale. Soon enough, I'll have a stealthy computer.:cool:

leecho7

Partition Master
Impressive case man.
Do you do this as a profession or something? Cause I'm sure people would pay good money for a customized rig.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Rob Williams said:
Ahh, sweet.

How long would you say that mod took you to do?

Tip to tail, just over 2 months. :D
Working out of my garage on evenings and weekends.
Likely a total of about 40 hours of lovin...

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
leecho7 said:
Impressive case man.
Do you do this as a profession or something? Cause I'm sure people would pay good money for a customized rig.

I'm hoping to go pro after I get a few more cases under my belt. We'll see how this pans out... but right now, my real life career is going well, so I have to be careful and balance my fun modding activities with family and "make sure it does not interfere with the career" time! ;)

Thanks for the reply!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Because Tech-Daddy won't say it...

Those who read CPU magazine know that each month, they pick a killer mod to feature on the cover, and then have a two page write-up inside. Well, TD's above mod will be in the December issue!

Even if you don't usually buy CPU, pick one up to show your support, hehe. I can't wait until mine arrives in the mail.

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Aw man... now I'm blushing....
;)

No, I'm REALLY excited about that issue, as I had 2 pro photographers here @ my house with lights, a drool worthy digital SLR (12MP?) that was pumping images via Firewire straight to the dude's Powerbook...

I think some really cool shots came out of it! I can't wait to see what they did, as I have not seen the final layout myself!!!!
:)