Patriot Viper II Sector 7 3X2GB DDR3 1600MHZ 8-8-8-24

eunoia

Partition Master
Just bought this for $104.35 with a $25CAD mail-in rebate. Even without the rebate it seems like an insane value esp. for faster RAM with lower timings and serious heatsinks.

Too good to be true? Am I missing something?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=54446&vpn=PV736G1600LLK&manufacture=Patriot

The only thing I can think of is the RAM heatsinks are so high they'll interfere with my CPU cooler (?)

(For those of you following my first build progress, I also picked up the i7 930 + Noctua NH-U12P (2 X NF-P12) combo for $309.xx with some free games, a $10 gift card and free shipping for the entire order. So because the shipping was free I blew my budget on a HAF X pricematched at DirectCanada for $164.99. :D)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Heat-spreaders aren't the most attractive out there, but that looks to be the only thing wrong with them :D Great kit,and great build. You're going to love it.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm convinced that heat spreaders are nothing more than eye candy unless you are going for a crazy high overclock with a ton of extra voltage. Even then an extra fan blowing on them directly would be a better choice. Out of all of the memory I have ever owned I don't recall any of them getting warm to the touch even when I'm putting .3v extra into them.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I agree with Optix, a fan is a better solution in any situation. Spreaders do make the modules look better sometimes. I love my Ballistix with the blue LEDs :)

eunoia

Partition Master
Price went back up to $138.03, still an awesome deal with $25 MIR and cheaper than the 9-9-9. Received it already and still can't figure out why it was so inexpensive.

eunoia

Partition Master
Oh also:

Nov5.jpg

Waiting for the mobo from Gigabyte is excruciating.

eunoia

Partition Master
Just to update this, the rebate check did arrive mid-December.

Also, the RAM is excellent.

Guess I just get jazzed about deals, but RAM prices were all over the place in 2010 and this was the best bargain I ever saw.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
That's a big flippin' case! It'll look mighty pretty once the gear just put in it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I love that chassis; it's nice. My only real complaint is that you can't use the USB 3.0 front ports if you install a second top fan. Seems like a weird oversight.

eunoia

Partition Master
I love that chassis; it's nice. My only real complaint is that you can't use the USB 3.0 front ports if you install a second top fan. Seems like a weird oversight.

I had to use a ruler to tuck the USB cables around the second 230mm as I snapped down the top assembly, but it worked fine. I'd open it to take a take a picture, but yeah, it wasn't the most convenient upgrade.

Charlene.JPG

Last edited: