One the eve of six or more cores...

madmat

Soup Nazi
How do I celebrate? By moving to quad core. I've been running an M2N32-SLI Deluxe for a while now with an AM2 X2 4000 and 7 series SLI. It's time to step up the system.

I've got an M4N82 Deluxe sitting in it's box waiting for a Phenom II 940BE which arrives tomorrow. After I can round up a newer DX10 or better GPU I'll put the new parts in and run my current ram for the time being.

I'm definitely looking forward to running windows 7 on my newly updated system.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm going from 2 cores to...well, 2 cores. But I'll have hyper-threading! Call it approximately 2.60 cores but it will certainly be a step up from my E2180.

Have a peek at the 5750 if you want a capable DX11 card on the cheap.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm probably going with a 9800GT. There's a spiffy ASUS version for sub $75 after MIR that supports tri-SLI.

Tri SLI and the core unlocker and upcoming support for 6 core AMD's all added up to a must have. When 3 and 4 (5 maybe?) core versions of the 6 core Phenom II's hit the market I'm all set for a possible step up on the cheap.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I have never run an AMD system but I have huge respect for how they deal with new hardware launches and how their gear is usually backwards compatible.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I like it because of the bang for the buck aspect. My upcoming CPU costs about half the cost of a Q9550 but offers 80% to 100% similar performance in real world apps.

I chose my mobo because it's an AM3 chipset that has been configured as AM2+ which allows more flexibility if you're on a budget. I'm always on a budget.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Grats on the upgrade man, that's a nice move on up :D

The M2N must have treated you real well given you're using the M4N for the new build. You'll love that CPU, it's going to offer a seriously noticeable difference.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I put the 940 and M4N82 in last night and it booted into Vista without a hiccup. Amazingly it (Vista) didn't complain about the new mobo or BSOD. Hell, it didn't even want to be activated again which I find utterly flabbergasting. A while back the M2N took a dump on me and had to be RMA'd, when I got it back and reinstalled Vista required reactivation... now it doesn't? Just bizarre.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
That just goes to show you that Microsoft still hasn't figured out exactly how to properly implement their WGA fiasco.

Congrats on the upgrade. New tech is always fun.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Well, it didn't go quite as well as I thought. Tried running 3DMark '06 and there's corruption and there's some high pitched roaring type noise coming through the speakers.

Back to the drawing board. :(