On Back order

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Were they even in stock or is this just a pre-order sort of thing??
Pre order, should be in 03/19/2008

Now.....the Mobo decision....I have the EVGA 780I mobo now with the wolfdale......I may just get the same board.
I don't usually build two in a year, but the other board died on PCIe slot and it's just an excuse to fullfill my habit ( birthday around the corner )

Old Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I do like the EVGA 780i board, but there are new boards coming out.....I may just a wait a bit

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
New 790i board.......;)

For some reason I really like the memory controllers on Nvidia based boards better.
Seems Nvidia has come alive in the last three years, joining forces with motherboards manufactuers. So that the video cards are in a friendly environment. And also providing overclocking abilities.
And the last year or so, even overclocking the cards themselves.
It's an overclocked world anyway.
The faster we can do things, the more time we have to do other things......but as it turns out, we take that extra time to do more work.

Now OC'ing is fun, like back when I was a teen, overclocking my vehicle ( engine modifications) and also drive train improvement. From Lakewell headers with cherry bomb mufflers to Holley 4 barrels intakes.
Then posi-track rear ends with wider tires.
And now we can change chips to get better performance in vehicle onboard computers.
OC'ing is all over the place.....faster is better.....or is it?...lol
At any rate it's fun to squeeze everything you can out of your machine.

Merlin

790I board Asus Stricker II Extreme with CRAZY jumpers?

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Do you mean OC'ing a car something like my old high school ride...............:eek:

Attachments

• Comet1.JPG
    Comet1.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 561
  • Comet21.jpg
    Comet21.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 613

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
790I board Asus Stricker II Extreme with CRAZY jumpers?

Looking at the diagram you mean? Should just be red/yellow/green LEDs which indicate current voltage levels... that is what they did with the RoG Rampage Formula. Anandtech reported the "Crazy" red only lights up if you set the CPU voltage to over 2.0v :D

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I really don't see what's with all the LED's on the board really, my board has a ton of them as well, they are pretty darn hard to see with the case all closed up.................;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Grats on the purchase Merlin... please let us know how you make out with it once it arrives. I might pick one up also once available, but I'll have to do some clever time-making in order to spend good time with overclocking.

Regarding 790i, just bare in mind that this chipset supports DDR3 only, which ups the price all around considerably.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Just got ALL my cards paid off, got rid of them except one, Visa.
No more cards for me, I get into trouble.....even for 50.00 off the first buy...not worth it to me......I saw that when I made the purchase with Visa Card.

Merlin

I am in the same boat. Credit is a dangerous thing...

I too plan on ordering one when they become a bit more available. I am still very happy with my E6600 but a Quad would make a great proc for my everyday PC. I plan on either keeping the Conroe chip on the test bench or building a WSUS/email/exchange server with the CPU. Looking forward to hearing how you like your's when it arrives.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Grats on the purchase Merlin... please let us know how you make out with it once it arrives. I might pick one up also once available, but I'll have to do some clever time-making in order to spend good time with overclocking.

Regarding 790i, just bare in mind that this chipset supports DDR3 only, which ups the price all around considerably.
Yeah.....just saw that today...I thought they had said it would be both like the Gigabyte board.

Most likely I'll use another EVGA 780i board, I really like that board.

Q9450 should be available around 03/19/08
I'll keep in tune with the new CPU

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Looking at the diagram you mean? Should just be red/yellow/green LEDs which indicate current voltage levels... that is what they did with the RoG Rampage Formula. Anandtech reported the "Crazy" red only lights up if you set the CPU voltage to over 2.0v :D
Crazy, High and Normal are just jumper pins to use, I didnt see any LED's

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I am still very happy with my E6600 but a Quad would make a great proc for my everyday PC. I plan on either keeping the Conroe chip on the test bench or building a WSUS/email/exchange server with the CPU. Looking forward to hearing how you like your's when it arrives.
I'm happy with the E8400 Core Duo.
But i sometimes do a lot of 3D work with 3D max, Poser7 and Bryce6.
I'd like to get MojoWorld, you can make some awesome new worlds in HDRI lighting. Also import objects from other programs.
When I make some, I'll post at my Pbase acount for viewing.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just heard back from our contact at NCIX, and apparently the Q9450 stock will come in towards the end of the month. It was noted, though, that the initial stock would be tight, so... even then it might be hard to get a hold of one.

Hopefully Merlin will get his before then... but I have a feeling a lot of e-tailers will be in the same situation as NCIX. It's too bad... we should have seen these processors in Jan or even Feb... and here we are almost done March still without the opportunity to purchase one.