OCZ Technology at CES 2011

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you love SSDs, OCZ Technology's suite at the Aria hotel in Las Vegas was the place to be during CES. On display were the company's IBIS drives, the Vertex 3 EX and Pro, the short Z-Drive R3, along with 80 Plus power supplies for both the OCZ and PC Power & Cooling brand, and yes, even some DDR3 modules could also be found.

You can check out our coverage of OCZ at CES and then discuss it here!

Misha

Obliviot
Nice coverage... Can't wait to buy few Vertex 3 drives for my projects and with 16GB of RAM, change my life forever!

English is not my native language, so i'm not sure that i understand why OCZ don't want to give you that huge drive for review?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
English is not my native language, so i'm not sure that i understand why OCZ don't want to give you that huge drive for review?

Ahh, I was being sarcastic. It just happens to be $8,000 and not in our target audience :D

They got a good laugh when I asked to review it.

Misha

Obliviot
Ahh, I was being sarcastic. It just happens to be $8,000 and not in our target audience :D

They got a good laugh when I asked to review it.

I thought about that, but why auto magazines then review Mercedes SLR or similar cars.
It's all about technology and superiority OCZ have right now in SSD field.

Such review could make a lot for company image in the eyes of ordinary buyers, who will consider OCZ even more when they see how advantage products they build...

Also, 8000$ is retail price of that thing, not a real price. Real value is few times lower, and if you even damage one, or somehow get lost in shipping, it's not that bad! :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree to all that, but the thing is, it's just not our target audience at all, and with such an exorbitant price, I knew it'd be a humorous joke to them if I asked for a review sample. Sites like AnandTech might be better suited to tackle such products since it handles the enterprise side of things as well. An $8,000 SSD is certainly not sought out by the TG audience ;-)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd prefer a couple of Vortex 2s in RAID 5 or something. 4TB is overkill for an SSD... most of that will be static storage.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm surprised you haven't made the jump already, Rob. I suppose after looking at your current list of drives you're more about storage than speed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's just been laziness... to upgrade to SSDs just requires me to take a break and image things over. Hard to feel inspired to do that. I need to soon, though. Considering an SSD for both Windows and Linux or one SSD for both... not sure the best route there. I want to keep SATA ports free if possible for even more storage.