OCZ Launches Indilinx "Everest"-Powered Octane SSDs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
OCZ’s acquisition of the SSD controller company Indilinx is finally beginning to pay off. The company has unveiled its own long-awaited Indilinx-powered successor to the venerable "Barefoot" controller design seen in drives such as the original Vertex, which at the time was the first SSD to go toe-to-toe with Intel’s own SSDs.

ocz_octane_ssd_102111.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Psi*

Tech Monkey
$1.15/GB!?! Nice. I am anxious to see the price erosion on the current almost as fast SSDs.

HDDs are starting to pile up almost like floppies did in the day.:rolleyes:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I can imagine that's what it's beginning to look like at Robert's office, just with SSDs :D

Ugh, you so hit the nail on the head with that statement. :( There's a pile accumulating underneath my monitor... I used to love building multi-story card castles when I was younger, I could almost try that with SSDs now. :p

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This might be a welcome addition to those who are wary of jumping into the Sandforce pool (like myself) after all of the 2281 problems that I've been reading about.

Too bad they start at 128GB. I only need a 60GB drive for my OS and must have applications.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'd still recommend 100GB+ sized SSDs where all possible! The performance is still better and the lifespan of the drive will be much better given there is more area for wear leveling to balance writes / garbage collection across. That is what will lower the write amplification, which in turn decreases the wear.

I just wish that the 120GB Sandforce drives got the same performance 240GB drives did, then they really would be no reason to grab anything <100GB.