OCZ Announces RevoDrive Hybrid SSD+HDD PCIe Solution

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Three months ago, during Computex, OCZ showed off its latest RevoDrive PCIe SSD, dubbed 'Hybrid'. As the name no doubt gives away, the product sees a hard drive paired with an SSD, in order to have them act together and give users the best of both worlds - speed and storage. This is an idea that has been tried a countless number of times before, but to this day no solution has truly seemed to take off.

ocz_revodrive_hybrid_083111_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Seagates's Momentus XT Hybrid thingy wasn't that great, lets see how this does! OCZ is very good with SSDs though so, these might be good! :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It is interesting to see, that is for sure. Out of all the SSD+HDD hybrid technologies I've seen to date, this one may be the most promising for the single fact that 100GB is a huge amount of SSD to serve as cache. The single-most problem with hybrid technology is that if the right data isn't cached, then the user gets normal HDD performance.

The downside is that, at $500 what is the point of someone buying this when they can buy the individual 120GB SSD, and a larger, faster 3TB drive for less? Maybe I'm a bit harsh on new tech, but honestly I don't see how the ease of convenience justifies this one. But for the sake of technology, it's nice to see new products being devised.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
It is interesting to see, that is for sure. Out of all the SSD+HDD hybrid technologies I've seen to date, this one may be the most promising for the single fact that 100GB is a huge amount of SSD to serve as cache. The single-most problem with hybrid technology is that if the right data isn't cached, then the user gets normal HDD performance.

The downside is that, at $500 what is the point of someone buying this when they can buy the individual 120GB SSD, and a larger, faster 3TB drive for less? Maybe I'm a bit harsh on new tech, but honestly I don't see how the ease of convenience justifies this one. But for the sake of technology, it's nice to see new products being devised.

Now THAT, is the smarter choice!! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
So this is pretty much moving Intel's Smart Response Technology to a PCIe drive instead of on the motherboard. I can certainly vouch for Kougar's statement that the right data needs to be cached for any real performance increase to be felt.