OCZ 2GB PC2-7200 SLI-Ready Edition

Faiakes

Obliviot
Well, I'd like to thank you for your work on that mod. I never played through the vanilla version, and haven't experimented with a whole lot of mods (yet) but Faiakes 2.3 is very enjoyable thus far. Thanks again!
Don't mention it, I enjoyed making it.
Now, if I could get this overclock to work I might be able to play the game with Full Dynamic Lighting for the first time!:rolleyes:

Rob:
After researching voltages I've had some success already.

Memory mode: Unlinked
Memory speed: 400MHz
Memory timings: 4-4-3-12-13 at 2T, 2.1V (memtest 3.3 tested)

vCore: Auto (since I am underclocking)
NB: 1.4V
SB: 1.5V
HT: 1.3V
CPU VTT: 1.55

FSB speed: 360
Multi: 6
FSB/RAM: 9:10 Divider
CPU speed: 2160

Now, with same voltages as above I did make an attemt for a 400 FSB but it still won't POST. More NB & SB voltage you reckon?
It would also appear that I can't do between 360-400 as the dividers don't work out. Is that right?

Last edited:

Faiakes

Obliviot
UPDATE 1:

I was wrong about the Dividers being the issue.

So far I have managed:

Memory speed: 420MHz
Memory timings: Auto

vCore: 1.34
NB: 1.6V
SB: 1.6V
HT: 1.5V
CPU VTT: 1.6
RAM: 2.22
(all voltages measued in windows with PC Probe II)

FSB speed: 390
FSB/RAM: 13:14 Divider
CPU speed: 2340

The CPU is actually underclocked yet this is not stable. It freezes as soon as I start Orthos. Since the RAM is set at auto I don't know what to think. I have already applied far too much volatge on other subsystems (especially compared to what I'm reading from other websites).

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Those last settings don't really make any sense.. the ram shouldn't be able to run faster than the FSB MHz, at any time.

Maybe we should get back to basics. If you set everything back to auto, what settings does it set for you? You could check with CPU-z or some other CPUID application. Maybe set those settings and start going from there.

One idea might be to reset your entire BIOS, and set all the options I have listed here. Whatever options I didn't touch, leave them on auto or their default settings. Under no circumstance could I see that not working. It's important to make sure that your CMD is at 2T as well.

Faiakes

Obliviot
Why not making sense? Here it is again:

Memory speed: 420 (DDR840) MHz
Memory timings: Auto

vCore: (set at 1.35 in BIOS) 1.34
NB: 1.6V
SB: 1.6V
HT: 1.5V
CPU VTT: 1.6
RAM: 2.2
(all voltages measued in windows with PC Probe II)

FSB speed: 390 (quad 1560)
FSB/RAM: 13:14 Divider
CPU speed: 2340

Now, according to all the reviews I have seen regarding the RAM and the mobo, those settings should be sufficient for a FSB of over 460 (quad 1840), yet I can only boot into windows.

Last edited:

Faiakes

Obliviot
UPDATE 2:

I have a very stable set up of:

Memory speed: 840MHz
Memory timings: 4-4-3-12 2T

vCore: 1.27 (1.23-27)
HT: 1.35V (1.39)
NB: 1.45V (1.47-49)
SB: Auto (1.52-54)
CPU VTT: 1.3 (1.36)
RAM: 2.2 (this isn't necessay as the RAM is running below 900)

(BIOS/windows with PC Probe II)

FSB speed: 360 (quad 1440)
Multi: 8
FSB/RAM: 4:5 Divider
CPU speed: 2880

Now, I haven't done an 8 hour Orthos test but 3DMark06 completed without a problem and I got a score of 11139 (is that any good?)

I did reduce vCore to the point where the PC was unstable or freezing and then brought it back up again. 1.27 is all it needs. I can easily push it to 9x360=3240 but that is not the issue.

I even got a working FSB of 380 but I haven't tested that yet. The problem is that anything above 380 seems beyond me and I don't understand why. If I can get it up to 380 surely with a bit extra voltage it ought to get at least to 400.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, the FSB seems to be the problem for some reason. I've looked at other reviews, and one even had it reach 475MHz, so it's definitely strange. Have you cranked all of the voltages up all the way (non-CPU-wise) to see if that had any effect? If you are worried about anything overheating, you could ghetto-mod a 120mm fan in there, to keep things cool.

Also, at those past stable settings, was there any way to boost the memory frequency up, to the 500MHz mark? I believe with 360FSB, somewhere around DDR2-1000 should be possible, without going to far above it.

Faiakes

Obliviot
No, I haven' maxed them (but then again I shouldn't have to). Will try today and let you know.

I do have a 120 fan from my OCZ VX days. :)

Faiakes

Obliviot
UPDATE 3:

Well....I pumped it hard and it worked..so far:

Memory speed: 400 MHz (DDR 800)
Memory timings: 4-4-3-12 at 2T, 2.1V

vCore: 1.25 (since I am not overclocking)
HT: 1.46V
NB: 1.71V
SB: 1.63V
CPU VTT: 1.34

FSB speed: 400 (quad 1600)
FSB/RAM: 1:1 Divider
CPU speed: 2400 (E6600 standard)

(all measurements with PC Probe in windows)

I strapped (ghetto style...) a 120 fan over the NB, which I think is the component getting hotter.

Observations:
1. Orthos and Core Temp 0.95 misreport my CPU speed as 3600 (9x400), so does 3DMark06
2. CPU-Z 1.40.5 misreports the voltage on the CPU (it always says 1.213v)
3. PC Probe always reports 1 C above Core Temp.
3. After 10 mins of Orthos my temps are ~44C
4. Same setup will not work in Linked memory mode.

UPDATE 4:

It would seem that a FSB 400 is the absolute limit for my board.

It won't even do FSB410.
I got so frustrated that I followed your advice and tried to max everything:

HT: maxed at 1.95v
NB: 2.35v !!!
SB: maxed at 1.85v
CPU VTT: maxed at 1.55v

I didn't even POST, I had to Clear the BIOS everytime.
Is it me or should I be returning the mobo and start looking for a DFI board?

Last edited:

Faiakes

Obliviot
Thanks for all your help Rob but I decided enough was enough.
I just sold the damn motherboard on eBay and I'm looking for a new one.

Any suggestions? (must be SLI)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Orthos and those other applications think you are using a higher CPU frequency because it can't tell that you are using a different-than-default multiplier. It's usually nothing to worry about. -Usually-, CPU-z will report the proper frequency. As for the voltage, don't worry about that... CPU-z doesn't really have the capability to report the absolute proper voltage. If you use 1.5v, it will show 1.28v, though I'm unsure why.

I am quite certain that you've officially exhausted all your energy into making 400+ work, so I would think that an RMA or different board would be a good idea. One review I checked, they hit 475MHz, so for you to hit such a block early on is odd. You -are- using the most recent BIOS you mentioned, right?

It definitely seems like it's the bottleneck here. I can't think of anything you could have possibly missed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For SLI-motherboards, I'd lean towards the eVGA 680i a tad, because it's a superb memory overclocking board. However, my personal copy hasn't been able to go beyond 450FSB. Though not a problem at all, I originally couldn't go beyond 350FSB, but once the P27 BIOS was released, I was smooth sailing. Overall though, most people I've known who have had one have had better luck than I did, even without the P27 BIOS, so you might want to look into that.

For budget, ASUS P5N-E was quite a good overclocker as well, though not for memory. I had it reach 495FSB with relative ease though. These are the only two SLI motherboards that I've tested thoroughly recently. Maybe someone else can jump in and give their two cents.

Faiakes

Obliviot
I don't mind the memory ability as I don't plan to exceed RAM 450 but I want to avoid this mess with the FSB, so I'm looking for a board that can easily reach high FSB.

Ironically, the Asus P5N32-E SLI (without the 'Plus') can do that. It's a 680 chipset.

I'm also looking into the Asus Strike Extreme but I think it is overpriced.

I saw the eVGA 680i but didn't it have some issues? Are those resolved? Is it reliable?

UPDATE:
I found an offer for it so I went for the Asus Strike Extreme. A bit lucky there, as it used to be ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh good to hear man, please let me know how you make out with it. I've never used the Strike Extreme, but have heard excellent things about it.

Faiakes

Obliviot
Well, I received the Striker today and I am already testing it.

It booted with 360 FSB first time, no problems and with very little additional voltage, did a 10 minute test with ORTHOS, no problems either. (those MB buttons do look nice and are very useful to me as I don't use a PC case)

UPDATE 1
:
It booted with 400 FSB first time and it was fine for a 6 min ORTHOS test.
However, 450 appears to be a no-no so far, despite 1.6v at NB and SB.
It booted first time to 410 (which the P5N32-E SLI Plus never did manage) and I'm testing it now.

Memory set to: Unlinked, 1:1, 5-5-5-15 2T

UPDATE 2:
410 FSB seems fine after 10 mins with ORTHOS as does 420 FSB.
430 FSB seems fine so far.

UPDATE 3:
440 FSB is a no go. Will try to up voltages but they are already too high.
435 FSB will boot to windows but is unstable.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You are hitting a wall early... that board should be able to hit 450FSB at -least-. All ASUS boards I have tested recently (Blitz, P5N-E, P5K) have done upwards of 475FSB+, so I am starting to wonder if your CPU is the bottleneck, for some reason. It would be hard to imagine though... I know mine is still stable at 480FSB (I haven't had it higher).

1.6v NB might be a little too much for those speeds... I could be wrong though. You might want to try to loosen that up a little bit... 1.54v or that general area should be fine all the way up to 475FSB.

Faiakes

Obliviot
You are hitting a wall early... that board should be able to hit 450FSB at -least-. All ASUS boards I have tested recently (Blitz, P5N-E, P5K) have done upwards of 475FSB+, so I am starting to wonder if your CPU is the bottleneck, for some reason. It would be hard to imagine though... I know mine is still stable at 480FSB (I haven't had it higher).

1.6v NB might be a little too much for those speeds... I could be wrong though. You might want to try to loosen that up a little bit... 1.54v or that general area should be fine all the way up to 475FSB.
Well, this is all with a multi of 6 so the CPU shouldn't be the problem.

My PSU is a 1K Galaxy DXX do I doubt it a current issue either.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I just wonder if the CPU is a bottleneck in some other way. 480x6 was stable with my E6600, but 485x6 was not. However, my QX6850 was stable up to 490x6, which led me to believe the E6600 was hitting it's breaking point. I am not entirely sure though.

It just sucks you are hitting a bottleneck so early... on a board that CAN go far higher. It's definitely not your power supply. Did you run MemTest on your memory to see if it's error-free at stock speed?

Faiakes

Obliviot
I did a short one but I'll let run tonight for a complete test.

The thing is I am underclocking the RAM too (both in timings and speed), so why would it be an issue (unless it's really faulty).

By the way I raised the multi to x8 and reached 3.2Ghz, temp at load is not an issue yet:

HT: 1.31
NB: 1.44
SB: 1.58
VTT: 1.36

multi: x8
FSB: 400
RAM: 400
Ratio: 1:1
Mem: Linked (sync mode)

CPU = 8x400 = 3.2GHz

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The thing is I am underclocking the RAM too (both in timings and speed), so why would it be an issue (unless it's really faulty).

Well that's the thing... if it was faulty, then anything could happen. I am not saying there IS a problem with the ram, and I doubt there is, but we seem to be running out of solutions to try, heh.

The settings there look good, although the SB seems a little high in voltage as well. I'll continue to ponder it... I am still quite confused about it all. Hitting 450FSB at -least- should be pretty easy, but having a rough time breaking through 400FSB is odd as hell. :mad:

Faiakes

Obliviot
Well that's the thing... if it was faulty, then anything could happen. I am not saying there IS a problem with the ram, and I doubt there is, but we seem to be running out of solutions to try, heh.

The settings there look good, although the SB seems a little high in voltage as well. I'll continue to ponder it... I am still quite confused about it all. Hitting 450FSB at -least- should be pretty easy, but having a rough time breaking through 400FSB is odd as hell. :mad:
Hitting 430 FSB was easy.
It's getting past that became ridiculous, not even 1.7 NB and SB would do it :confused:

Anyway, I've hit 3.6GHz but it has taken 1.525v (BIOS)/ 1.47-9v (PC Probe), load temp is between 44-47C (PC Probe), 47-45 to 50-47 (CoreTemp).