OCZ 2GB PC2-7200 SLI-Ready Edition

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We took a look at a PC2-7200 kit from OCZ last year and it proved to be one of the best kits we've ever laid our mitts on. Today we are taking a look at another PC2-7200 kit, approved and branded by NVIDIA. Are we going to be impressed once again?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
Can you verify what ICs they are using? D9GMH, D9GKX, or others?

Other than that, this is a great review, thanks :)

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
My question is this: Is there any demonstrable improvement in performance by using NVidia-branded OCZ memory with an NVidia GPU instead of OCZ-branded OCZ memory?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Can you verify what ICs they are using? D9GMH, D9GKX, or others?

Other than that, this is a great review, thanks :)

I haven't cracked them open, but I'm 99% sure they are D9GMH given the price range. GKX chips are for modules priced far higher.

My question is this: Is there any demonstrable improvement in performance by using NVidia-branded OCZ memory with an NVidia GPU instead of OCZ-branded OCZ memory?

As I mentioned in the review, "One thing you might notice right away is that these are "SLI-Ready" modules. What does that mean to you, the consumer? Not to steal thunder from OCZ, but not much of anything. It means that NVIDIA has taken a look at these modules and certified them for use in NVIDIA motherboards."

There would be no difference whatsoever. They are just proven to work with SLI-Ready products, so it's certified. It's all marketing ;-)

JacKz5o

Obliviot

I don't think there will be any difference when using this memory with an nVidia GPU, but I do think there will be some sort of a difference when using these memory with a motherboard with an nVidia chipset like the 590 or 680i. With nVidia-Certified memory on an nVidia chipset motherboard, you can enable EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles) which allows the memory to overclock better. But I havn't really seen anything that proves EPP-enabled OCs better then EPP-disabled.

I haven't cracked them open, but I'm 99% sure they are D9GMH given the price range. GKX chips are for modules priced far higher.

As I mentioned in the review, "One thing you might notice right away is that these are "SLI-Ready" modules. What does that mean to you, the consumer? Not to steal thunder from OCZ, but not much of anything. It means that NVIDIA has taken a look at these modules and certified them for use in NVIDIA motherboards."

There would be no difference whatsoever. They are just proven to work with SLI-Ready products, so it's certified. It's all marketing ;-)

Iv seen 2x1GB Buffalo FireStix PC2 8000 that use D9GKX chips and only cost about $220 with no MIR. I know Buffalos not the best brand but as long as the ICs are the same the overall quality is usually the same as others.

Other than the EPP, there is nothing different than regular OCZ memory. SLI-Certified RAM is basicly almost the same as a Window's Vista Certified keyboard and mouse :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
you can enable EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles) which allows the memory to overclock better.

No :p

It's for people who don't overclock and just want a "simple" OC. Overclocking it yourself, you'd get a FAR better overclock no question.

Iv seen 2x1GB Buffalo FireStix PC2 8000 that use D9GKX chips and only cost about $220 with no MIR. I know Buffalos not the best brand but as long as the ICs are the same the overall quality is usually the same as others.

They were not that price when they were first released. If I recall correctly, they were hovering around $400.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
No :p

It's for people who don't overclock and just want a "simple" OC. Overclocking it yourself, you'd get a FAR better overclock no question.

Oh, I thought it was one of those ECC things that just.. nvm :p

They were not that price when they were first released. If I recall correctly, they were hovering around $400.

RAM prices has came down a lot in the last few month so they probably were $400 originally.

Also, is it just me or does $292 seem a bit expensive for this kit of RAM? OCZ's PC2 8500 SLI Ready RAM is only $189.99, looks same and everything. Only difference I see is that this kit is 4-4-3-15 and the 8500 is 5-5-5-15, but a lot of the people that have the PC2 8500 kit says the timings can be tightened by a lot when running DDR 800 so it shouldn't be that different compared to the PC2-7200 version.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Also, is it just me or does $292 seem a bit expensive for this kit of RAM? OCZ's PC2 8500 SLI Ready RAM is only $189.99, looks same and everything.

I mentioned it in the review :p

Rob Williams said:
At $292, I feel this kit is worth it, thanks to it's potential. However, a quick search around the same retailers revealed that that PC2-8500 version of this kit actually costs less. Sometimes supply and demand can be funny, and this is a great example. In fact, one e-tailer is selling the PC2-8500 kit for $240 and at another, the kit will cost you $219 after a mail in rebate. Chances are good that the same chips are used in both the kit looked at today, and that one. With the PC2-8500 kit in hand, you should be able to achieve the same overclock as seen here, or even higher given they are higher binned chips.

U

Unregistered

Somebody use this memory on P5B series motherboards, how it feel?
What memory for this motherboard will be better for use: OCZ 2GB PC2-7200 SLI-Ready Edition(Rating only 8?) or OCZ 2GB PC2-7200 EPP Platinum(9-better?)
Thank You!

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Some SLI motherboards will take the EPP profiles of thes "SLI ready" ram sticks and do some of the hard work for you. If I didn't already have great ram, I'd certainly consider these.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If I didn't already have great ram, I'd certainly consider these.

TeamX makes some incredible RAM, without a doubt. We actually got to talk to them a bit at CES and their position among enthusiasts is incredibly high for no larger of a company than they are.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Somebody use this memory on P5B series motherboards, how it feel?
What memory for this motherboard will be better for use: OCZ 2GB PC2-7200 SLI-Ready Edition(Rating only 8?) or OCZ 2GB PC2-7200 EPP Platinum(9-better?)
Thank You!

They are the same... the kit that received an 8 was thanks to the fact that it's an EXPENSIVE kit to buy. Do yourself a favor and purchase the OCZ 2GB SLI-Ready PC2-8500 kit... it costs less than the 7200 version.

U

Unregistered (DonNiger)

They are the same... the kit that received an 8 was thanks to the fact that it's an EXPENSIVE kit to buy. Do yourself a favor and purchase the OCZ 2GB SLI-Ready PC2-8500 kit... it costs less than the 7200 version.

I had those for 170 EUR and I think taht they are worth it.

My stable settings are below rated speeds but look at the timings

Read/write/copy speeds aren't bad at all also

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, not bad? Those are great scores, not used to seeing that on Intels. Nice timings at well.. and the 1T. How much voltage on the ram?

U

Unregistered

Haha, not bad? Those are great scores, not used to seeing that on Intels. Nice timings at well.. and the 1T. How much voltage on the ram?

Actually, the MB is Asus P5N-E SLI (Nvidia 650i). max 1T Mhz is 850, 2,4v.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I meant to use an exclamation mark there, not a question mark. Silly me.
2.4v is quite a bit for those speeds, but given the timings it's not much surprise. How are you keeping them cool?

U

Unregistered (DonNiger)

Have a 80 mm fan on top. After hard work, they are just warm.

also, max mhz I reached was 1150 5-4-4-9-2T. But cann't run in Sync mode, that's why aint useign that seting. Also mem reading is ~10k versus 11,3 k at the moment.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh nice, good stuff man. I use a 120mm atm... completely ghetto modded. I am surprised it's even staying still.