NZXT Sentry LXE Touch-Screen Fan Controller

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Although NZXT produces a wide-range of products, its fan controllers have become one of the highlights of its line-ups. The reasons are threefold: features, performance and price. We were left quite impressed with earlier Sentry models, and we can say that NZXT has done it once again with its Sentry LXE.

You can read Bill's full take on NZXT's latest fan controller right here and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I like NZXT. They make great cases, don't seem to over charge for their products and listen to their customers but I have never been a huge fan (no pun intended) of their fan controllers because they simply look out of place on some cases.

When I first became serious about computers I wanted all the flashy and craziness that generally goes along with the enthusiast crowd but I have now become more subtle in my tastes. Gone are the days of CCFL and UV reactive parts. Now it's solid sides and no LED's on my fans.

I would like to see them create a nice, understated yet still fully functional fan controller similar to their Sentry 2 but with nobs/dials and without the little fan picture. Just a standard black display, maybe the option to change the color of the information so it matches your current tastes. A button to change between the fans speeds and the current temperatures that the probes are reading.

To complete the aesthetics package I would like to see a mesh design on the area that does not contain the display because there are many cases that feature mesh drive bay covers (all of the Antec "Hundred" series and many Cooler Master and Thermaltake cases). It would help to make the fan controller feel like part of the case.

As it stands right now I'd go for one of the Lamptron or basic Sunbeam units because they look great and still offer excellent performance for the price.

I understand that this is an external fan controller so this may not really apply to some people but for the internal units I think NZXT could really cash in on the more go, less show crowd.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I prefer clean designs also, and the fact that I'm using a CM Storm Sniper as my current chassis makes me feel a little strange, haha. If I could "upgrade" the chassis on a dime, I'd go with something like Corsair's 700D... it's just ultra-clean, and super classy. Like its fan controllers, NZXT has never really made it a point to create chassis like this, although the Adamas might have come the closest.

I love your idea, a <em>lot</em>. A clean design fan controller with monochrome colors (gray and white, or something like that) would be fantastic, and easily better match up with some of the cleaner chassis out there. I'm not sure about its face though... mesh is one idea, but not all chassis use that. I think a brushed aluminum would be nice, but again, not all chassis have that either. It almost seems the best way would be to include two swappable faces or something, and let the user choose between them. It's impossible to produce a product like this that will suit everyone, but I think both a black brushed aluminum and mesh face would take care of the majority.

Either way, whether a less-color fan controller comes to fruition I'm not sure. NZXT clearly dedicates itself to gamers, but even then, people who purchase clean chassis can still be gamers. It will be interesting to see...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I like flash in a subtle way... my real question is why do I need a touch screen fan controller? Touchscreen media controller, maybe. But fan controller?

I still like LED's on my fans, but when I am looking at a new cases one of the first questions I think to myself is, "how will this look by my desk and what colors are going to clash when it comes to stuff I put in it/on it."

I like blue and white LEDs. ;-p

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Not sure. This just seems like a niche item to me. You will either love it and rush out to buy it or you will sit there scratching your head thinking, "Huh?"

I'm in the latter group.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have to admit... I like fan controllers more for their looks than their function. But I do appreciate being able to ton down the fans either on a cool evening or when I want total silence.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
To me the Sentry LXE is not overly flashy and puts the interface exactly where it belongs, on the top of your desk. The price makes it just that much more attractive as well. I understand why many may be slow to accept it, but once it is on your desk and you get used to it you quickly grow quite attached to it. It may be somewhat showy, but it is also very functional.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To me the Sentry LXE is not overly flashy and puts the interface exactly where it belongs, on the top of your desk. The price makes it just that much more attractive as well. I understand why many may be slow to accept it, but once it is on your desk and you get used to it you quickly grow quite attached to it. It may be somewhat showy, but it is also very functional.

It's a cool accessory, that's for sure. I could picture many a gamer liking something like this on their desk, along with their blinged-out peripherals. It just looks good, and is nice to use. It's too bad I live in such a cramped area, else I'd pick one up :D

O

One passager

Trés beau mais....

Bonjour .

j'aurais aimer savoir si il était possible de démonter le SENTRY LXE pour justement le mettre dans 2 baies 5"1/2 ,?
La carte PCI qui est relier au connecteur Pci a t-elle vraiment sont utilité ?Ou bien c 'est juste fait pour être un support, pour être ensuite relier au câble?

Hello.Incorrect I do not know English well
'Would love to know if it was possible to remove the SENTRY LXE just put in 2 bays 5 "1 / 2,?
The PCI connector that is connected to the PCI has she really relevancy? Or that is just made to be a support, to be then connect the câble

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
It is not built to install internally inside a case. The original Sentry LX would work for you just fine for this though. It is exactly as you want configured.

U

Unregistered

Bonjour Hello

Dommage que l'on ne peut pas le mettre dans 2 baies,mais je pense qu'il doit y avoir moyen en le bricolant un peu

Too bad we can not put it in two bays, but I think there must be some way by tinkering a bit

U

Unregistered

Size rating measure

Bonjour
Je ne trouve aucune indication sur les dimensions ,hauteur,largeur,profondeur.
Avez vous un lien ou autre pour savoir les dimensions.
Merci

Hello
I find no indication on the size, height, width, depth.
Do you have a link or to find other dimensions.
Thank you

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For some reason, there are no specs on NZXT's site for the LX, but it takes up exactly two 5.25" drive bays. So if you at least have two of those free, you won't have any issues with installation.

U

Unregistered

suite info ...more info

Bonjour.
Bonjour Rob Williams merci de votre réponse.
Je voudrais savoir car je n'ai pas très bien compris ,la carte PCI qui est mis dans le support pci de la carte mère ,ne sert seulement que pour être un support pour pouvoir brancher le cordon.Dans aucun cas la ligne pci de la carte mère n'alimente la carte pci?
Je ne trouve pas de photo qui représente les deux cotés de la carte pci.

Good morning.
Hello Rob Williams thank you for your reply.
I want to know because I did not quite understand the PCI card that is put in the pci bracket on the motherboard, not to be used only as a support for plugging the cordon.Dans any line of PCI supplying current motherboard pci card?
I can not find a photo that represents both sides of the pci card

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, any PSU will be able to support the card, as it just uses a typical 4-Pin Molex connector (the same kind of connector that old IDE components use). The device itself comes with a cable to plug into your PSU, and it won't take up any Molex connector if you don't have any left. You simply daisy-chain them together.

You can see a picture of the connector here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex

U

Unregistered

Suite et fin continuation and conclusion.......

Bonjour.
Bonjour Rob Williams merci bien de votre réponse.
J'ai un dilemme entre choisir NZXT Sentry LXE ou l'ancien NZXT - SENTRY LX.
Je vous souhaite une bonne journée.

Good morning.
Hello Rob Williams thank you very much for your reply.
I have a dilemma between choosing NZXT Sentry LXE or former NZXT - Sentry LX.
I wish you a good day.
Bye Bye

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
*POOF!*

Thread necro!

So I finally tracked down the Sentry LXE (thanks Rob) and I'm having a problem where my fans are either on full or off. There is no in between. The "fan level" in the middle decreases but when they hit a certain point they stop without ever scaling back.

Here's a link to the fans and based on that info it doesn't look like they are sucking back too much power for the controller to handle.

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-74-14

Any thoughts or suggestions on why this is, Bill?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Hmmmm. I am surprised you are having this issue, but I have come across it with some of NZXT's other controllers. Some fans do not scale well when you start cutting the voltage and they tend to just hit a spot and shut down. I know I currently use some cheapo 120mm fans for my testing and they are actually a higher wattage draw, roughly 4.5W so I don't believe you are overpowering the controller.

I will do some research and get back to you hopefully with a better answer.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I received a PM from DarkStarr who is having the same problem with his fans although I'm not sure what model(s) he has connected.

Hmm...

thoughtful-bonobo.jpg

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I have a couple fans, 2 are CM R4(i think) and the other is a CM sickle something or other, they are really the same fans just different names I guess, specs were the same so far as I know.

Last edited: