NVIDIA's GTX 200-series Specs Revealed

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hate to say this Merlin, but the 55nm refresh will be coming out either this month or the next, as soon as NVIDIA can get it out the door. I did buy a EVGA 260 myself though, but I could not resist the special price it was at.

----

Something I just discovered with my new GTX 260: NVIDIA is using thermal pads with plastic to "cool" the 2GHz/2.4GHZ GDDR3 chips on the back of the card. I could go into a lengthy rant, but suffice to say GDDR3 is the most common component to fail on GPUs, the faster clocked and the hotter it gets, the faster it degrades. I expect a great many GT200 cards are going to go bad because of this inside 2 years.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hate to say this Merlin, but the 55nm refresh will be coming out either this month or the next, as soon as NVIDIA can get it out the door. I did buy a EVGA 260 myself though, but I could not resist the special price it was at.

----

Something I just discovered with my new GTX 260: NVIDIA is using thermal pads with plastic to "cool" the 2GHz/2.4GHZ GDDR3 chips on the back of the card. I could go into a lengthy rant, but suffice to say GDDR3 is the most common component to fail on GPUs, the faster clocked and the hotter it gets, the faster it degrades. I expect a great many GT200 cards are going to go bad because of this inside 2 years.
Didnt know about it, maybe on a 90 day upgrade?
Anyway, I'm running Grid all the way high setting, yup maxed out everything and it runs 49C idle and 57C under the game play.
The 8800GT card ran a little hotter and could not run on high at all

I'm satisfied with what it can do :D
I'll run a 3DMark Vantage here soon.
Present specs are:
Q9450
one ( lol ) GTX 280 Special eddition OC
Display at 1650 x 1050
4 gigs Corsaire 800 Ram
Vista experience at 5.9 ( cant go higher than that )
Silverstone 1000w

Happy Wizzard

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Grats on the new purchase Merlin! Revisions are en route, but I doubt you are going to regret your purchase anytime soon.

Still might be a good idea to have patience though ;-) The new revisions should be out soon... and the HD 4870 X2 is also right around the corner. It help drag prices down even further... can't say for sure though.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Grats on the new purchase Merlin! Revisions are en route, but I doubt you are going to regret your purchase anytime soon.

Still might be a good idea to have patience though ;-) The new revisions should be out soon... and the HD 4870 X2 is also right around the corner. It help drag prices down even further... can't say for sure though.
I had a 500.00 lottery scratch off to burn, so why not go ahead and get one....eh
Man, this is a dream with this card....finally I can play at serious graphic options

THe Happy Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, just because money is won doesn't mean it should immediately be thrown at something :p

Glad you are liking the card regardless. Just got an HD 4870 X2, so I'll be sure to compare the two directly.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Haha, just because money is won doesn't mean it should immediately be thrown at something :p

Glad you are liking the card regardless. Just got an HD 4870 X2, so I'll be sure to compare the two directly.
I will be looking for that for sure
Thanks

Merlin