NVIDIA Launches GeForce GTX 460 SE

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
NVIDIA's been the target of a couple rumors over the past month, and so far, one of them came true. Of course, I'm referring to the GeForce GTX 580, the new reigning champion where single-GPU performance is concerned. At the same time, a "GTX 460 SE" has also been rumored, but its potential market position was far from clear. Well, as the title here suggests, the card is real. Its marketing position is still not so clear, however.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I wonder what the overclocking potential is on this assuming it accepts voltage adjustments? If the price point is low enough and it will scale up a few notches with some patience and testing for stability along the way this may be a nice little card.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
These same-model names are bugging me. This card could have been the GTS 455 or something like that, but just like the GTX 260, we have multiple versions. Talk about a great way to confuse the consumer.

I don't think AMD has been devoid of this problem either, but it needs to stop.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
They should just start calling them the GTX Who Cares?

For shits and giggles I swung by EVGA's Facebook page and the general consensus is "Why?" so we aren't the only people scratching our head as to why Nvidia decided to release a card like this unless it's to take advantage of unsuspecting consumers who aren't up to snuff on their hardware.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well it is the same company that released a GTX 580 about six months after the GTX 480 and isn't a major upgrade.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Touche.

The worst thing we can fault AMD for is cocking up their naming scheme, not their product line.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
All they need to do now is start a new naming scheme by rebranding the current GTX 580 and we have a repeating cycle. The 8000 series was released, this then had a minor clock change and became the 9000 series and then later rebranded to become the GTX 200 series...

Just look at Creative - Audigy 2, not that great, minor updates, became the Audigy 2 zs, which fized a number of the problems. Later on, the Audigy 4 was released, which was nothing more than a minor update to the Audigy 2. Then finally, Creative spawned the X-Fi range, and with it the Xtreme Gamer series.... which are actually just rebranded Audigy 4's.... (hence all the problems with them and EAX). So Creative are selling modern sound cards heavily based on a 10 year old design... go figure.

Last edited: