NVIDIA Interviews Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2 Devs at PAX

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At PAX Prime 2011, which occurred this past weekend, some folks at NVIDIA managed to take the time to peruse the games on display and scored a couple of interviews with people currently working on some of the most anticipated games in the coming year. Most notably, Patrick Liu from DICE was able to talk a bit about the graphics we'll see in Battlefield 3 - as if we needed even more reason to be excited over this one.

<object width="560" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lg0b6ZkW5U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lg0b6ZkW5U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/16SY-pSsptI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/16SY-pSsptI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
'you'd be safe with dual GTX 580's in SLI.'

I'm gonna have to get another 6870....

To be honest, this to me might be the first game since Crysis that would cause me to want to go dual-GPU. I am going to try the game with just one 580, but if there is any hint of lag, I'll toss a second one in. This is one of the few games that truly looks to deserve a kick-ass GPU setup to power it.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'll certainly need to have my upgraded system ready to rock. Z68, SB and a second 6850. :D

***EDIT: Hmm...memory too. 8GB.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Good luck with your car hunting Crimson! All I can say is, don't get too old a car... after 12 years you can expect to replace anything rubber, gaskets... and pretty much any fixture inside the car. They just wear, or age especially in 100+ temp environments. The undercarriage is especially vulnerable in the northern climates, after 15 years the salt can leave nothing left under there.

I had to replace the entire glove box assembly on my car just a few weeks ago because the plastic molding on the hinge plate had cracked, dropping the entire thing to the floorboard. The plastic dash has a nasty crack in it too, the sun has done a number on the vinyl, and the "felt" under the rear window will come off the board if you so much as touch it with a finger. Unless you care nothing for appearances of course, then it really doesn't matter! I used to be that way with my Ford Bronco, it didn't matter with that thing... :D

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Good luck with your car hunting Crimson! All I can say is, don't get too old a car... after 12 years you can expect to replace anything rubber, gaskets... and pretty much any fixture inside the car. They just wear, or age especially in 100+ temp environments.

Good thing is, 90% of Civic owners are car enthusiasts...and put all aftermarket performance parts on their cars and keep them up and running well. I'm gonna be looking on craigslist, and pretty much the '94-'98 models go for $2800 to $4000. I'm also going to be taking my grandfather with me when I go to look at one, since he is a retired mechanic and knows cars inside and out. He used to own his own shop and he built dragsters in the 80's and can pretty much tell if anything's wrong with any vehicle.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Wow... that seems like quite a lot for such an old car? Without checking the KBB values first that's just my initial impression though, I have definitely not kept up with the used car market. I do recall that Honda's / Toyota's retain their value better...

I'll be honest, I got my '97 Lumina for $5k back in 2003, with only 36K miles on it. Was supposed to be a good price, but nothing spectacular at the time. The car was in great condition minus a cosmetic issue with the hood (some mechanic shop spilled some chemical that ate through the paint right down the center, so I presume was why the owner got rid of it). But even for a low mileage car, just its age is the largest problem with it. The side manifolds on the radiator were plastic, found a hairline crack in it last year and had to replace the entire assembly. The rubber sealing is slowly being eaten alive by the sun, and even the bumper is discoloring visibly from the sun. The old owner reports I read about electrical issues with Monte Carlo/Lumina cars were spot on. I guess all I can say is, test drive and check everything! It's awesome you have your Grandfather to help, should make sure everything goes smoothly. Good luck! :)

Relayer

E.M.I.
"NVIDIA Interviews Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2 Devs at PAX"

So, does this mean we can expect heavily tessellated flat surfaces and invisible meshes? :rolleyes: