Not bad speeds

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Way to post whore your way to a hit count. Wait, that was me.

What makes the predicament I am in now more painful is that we just moved from a house that we had built closer to the city that had fast cable. Prior to that I lived with my mom and we had fast cable internet. Prior to that was at college and we had fast internet. I have been used to fast internet for a long time now. Screw you country living!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I tried living in the city a back in early 2000, after 2 years I was ready to kill myself, way to many people that try and get into your business and just to loud in general.

Country living is the place for me..........;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I tried living in the city a back in early 2000, after 2 years I was ready to kill myself, way to many people that try and get into your business and just to loud in general.

Country living is the place for me..........;)
Sounds good....I almost homesteaded in Montana, then Oregon.
But there was no access roads to get there.....all logging companies.
Merlin
( at work )

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Sounds good....I almost homesteaded in Montana, then Oregon.
But there was no access roads to get there.....all logging companies.
Merlin
( at work )

I wanted to try that when I was up in Alaska, but I was married with a newborn baby at the time and the now Ex was a total and complete wimp. So that idea got shot down real quick...............:eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll conflict with everyone because I like city living. So yeah.

The Internet situation in the country is ridiculous though. You'd imagine by now they'd have that situation figured out. I'm sure there are millions of people in this situation.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I think that is the Max

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It still impresses me that you have a great download speed but remain with a lackluster upload speed. The two numbers just seem to conflict with each other. Is there a real reason ISP's don't offer high upload speeds (besides Nate's fiber)?

I'm still more than happy with 8MBit down... but I'd certainly love a faster upload. It's unfortunate, my city seemed to be one of the first ones to offer high-speed internet around ten years ago, and yet now, we are lagging seriously behind.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
It still impresses me that you have a great download speed but remain with a lackluster upload speed. The two numbers just seem to conflict with each other. Is there a real reason ISP's don't offer high upload speeds (besides Nate's fiber)?

I'm still more than happy with 8MBit down... but I'd certainly love a faster upload. It's unfortunate, my city seemed to be one of the first ones to offer high-speed internet around ten years ago, and yet now, we are lagging seriously behind.
It's cable with what they call powerboost.
There is extra bandwith available for all in this node.
If no one is using it, I get it.....but anything over 8 mbps is shared.
I live in a good node.
Upload is also dependant on native usage.
So it all changes day by day.
But...It's All Good :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Crazy that Comcast would do that!

253560271.png

Upload rate is capped around 364 usually, or at least that is as far as I can ever seem to push when uploading.

AT&T has their U-verse thing here... not to sure about their service, and they bundle it with their TV services only else we would of made the switch here. Same internet price as TWC but they offer 10mbits down 1.5mbits up... Wish Verizon's FIOS service came down this far but I guess it isn't likely since AT&T and TWC already built out for this city.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

I can agree with FIOS... but even moreso, I wish Verizon was in Canada in general. I'd pay $100 a month for FIOS, easy. For what I'd get from my current ISP for $100... there's absolutely no comparison.

Looks like we have virtually identical internet speeds Kougar!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yipe... may be nearly identical but even TWC doesn't cost $100! More like $55... the above speeds I gave for AT&T's Uverse were $45, assuming their price doesn't have any extra fees added onto it. And also assuming you are already paying for their TV service... they don't offer it as a standalone service.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I didn't mean that I paid $100 for what I have... mine is something around $45. I'm sure I mentioned it before, but when I first acquired a DSL connection in '98/'99, it came in at 3Mbit and cost $43 a month.

So, it's kind of sad that 10 years later, prices have not come down much at all. You'd imagine it would have been far more expensive back then, not cheaper, despite the speed difference. As far as I know, DSL today still caps at 3Mbit.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I'd be screwed if I had to rely on DSL since I pulled the wired off my house for the phone and cut it back at the pole. I HATE bell and their ridiculous price gouging/customer screwing tactics so much that I went nuts in a semi-drunken rage. They came to my house to complain that I had hurt their precious wire and I explained to them exactly what would happen if they came near my house with their wire ever again. Vonage FTW!!!!

Did I forget to mention 10MB for $40 here for Cable high speed?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I pay $44.95 a month for Road Runner. Time Warner Cable FTW :)

Comcast will be compressing the Quam again for higher speeds the end of this year. Speeds of 135 mbps download are expected to blow away any competition
What I was thinking was the higher compression and higher data rate would spawn a higher error count.
I wish they would leave it alone.....lol
Higher compression means my job is harder