No Need for 'Snooty' Gamers, Says Carmack

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Of all the outspoken game developers out there, John Carmack tends to be one I agree with more often than not. After all, he does have experience, and he's the kind of person that others feed off of to make their own business better, not vice versa. Given his experience, he has some solid backing to his opinions, and his latest caught my eye. Believe it or not, Call of Duty doesn't suck.

call_of_duty_modern_warfare_2_dlc_031510.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

marfig

No ROM battery
Indeed.

If I was to name all the games that I find incredibly fun, where general opinion is they sucked, I'd probably need more than a reply box. Conversely, if I were to name all the games I found to be an incredible bore and that have a large fan base, I'd probably need a day off.

Unfortunately, instead of often expressing preferences positively by concentrating oneself on that which we like, often they are expressed negatively by affronting non preferences. As if somehow I needed to justify the fact I like something by making irrational claims about something I don't like. And irrational they are. As irrational as our preferences are. If one wanted to go deep into understanding why they like something better than something else, they would find themselves in trouble. We simply cannot explain it. But a judgmental and viral fan mentality that unfortunately infected the tech industry, has many believe liking something is the same as being right.

It's... and here I'm probably becoming offensive, but I don't mean to... a typical teenager behavioral pattern that tends to disappear through adulthood (some certainly won't). It's because of this that it is so visible in the gaming industry. But it finds also an echo on the tech industry as a whole. The difference being that as one gets older, wiser, less caring, their preferences won't change. But the way they express them will.

This isn't me on a high horse. Instead, noting that being passionate about something obviously makes it impossible any sound judgment. Also negating how little we know of ourselves and what makes us tick. But both are very common mental patterns; in the young particularly, but some adults too. There's no actual shame in it. But I'd rather have more people realizing this before they go on to propose I suck because I like X. Or that X sucks because they don't like it.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I might rage quit after Rob kills me with a knife 5 times in a row but I don't hate Call of Duty. Anybody can bash a game but very few can appreciate one for what it is unless, you know, it's a complete stinker.

I've used this analogy before but here it goes again - Call of Duty is like an arcade racer. Jump in, go fast, not too serious. Battlefield is like Gran Tourismo. Lots to take into account and it requires a bit more from the player other than twitch reflexes.

Speaking of Call of Duty, I'm about due for my back stabbin'!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I don't hate CoD. I personally love the game. I hate the 10-year-olds whose parents buy them the game and they get their prestige lobbies going and run around no-scoping people while saying "OMFG U NUBS SUCK @$$ I AM GOD I AM SO WONDERFUL OMFG I GOT A NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE I AM 10 YEAR OLD COD MASTA YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME OMFG OMFG YOU HACK YOU F***ING HACK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA." THAT's why I don't play CoD online anymore. I hear that in nearly EVERY game I join.

That's one thing you HARDLY see in Battlefield. Why? Because it takes way more skill than CoD, and it's harder to hack. Personally, I find Battlefield more fun.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
That's one thing you HARDLY see in Battlefield. Why? Because it takes way more skill than CoD, and it's harder to hack. Personally, I find Battlefield more fun.

It also does help that the game requires you to be a team player and if your being obnoxious or a complete jerk ppl will just leave you and you can not solo that game at all, well with out any real measure of success anyways.

That's why I like to play Hardcore on CODBO as well, a lot less children playing because they get too upset when they die in just a few hits. Too bad I will not play that game again.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I don't play either online, so I enjoy both in their own respects. Heck I barely play online anymore - it took a friend playing Company of Heroes with me to get me off of a 2+ year hiatus of online play

D

deadrats

most first person shooters seem to exist solely as a way to justify upgrading your pc. the best fps i think i ever played was medal of honor on the original playstation, after that i remember when quake 3 arena was the hot game and all the magazines and tech sites were talking about how many frames per second the latest geforce could provide at 1600x1200x32 and blah, blah, blah.

since then i can't remember the last fps that was worth a damn; postal 2 is an exception and only because it was so wrong and politically incorrect that it was fun but quickly became repetitive but no fps can come close to max payne 2, what a great game, with great acting and a great story, it was like being in a 50's love/crime thriller; mafia 2 comes close to being as good.

but first person shooters? perhaps the only other genre of gaming that is as equally over rated is real time strategy, the last good one had to be dune 2000, all others suck, just with pretty graphics.

sit me in front of a HDTV with a PS3 and some street fighter, mortal kombat, resident evil, batman, tekken or nfl blitz and i'm in heaven.

but pc gaming? and especially first person shooters? please.