Nintendo Power Shutting Down

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you happen to feel a bit ill today, and you also happen to be a console gamer from the 90s, it could be that a part of your childhood has now been interrupted: Nintendo Power is shutting down. That's right, the once go-to source for all things Nintendo is going to cease publishing after having been produced for over 24 years. If you owned an NES, SNES or maybe even an N64, chances are good you were exposed to Nintendo Power, and for good reason.

nintendo_power_082212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Too bad. My parents bought my sister and I a NES for Christmas when I was in grade 5 and I started my first subscription to Nintendo Power about a month later for $15 US. The bonus was a copy of Dragon Warrior - that's right. Fun as all get out!

What made it better was that someone goofed and sent me two copies! I had my mags, a new game and a few bucks in hand after selling the second.

My favorite non-review section was the Mario & Luigi cartoons that were in each issue. Man, they were hilarious! Makes me wish I didn't toss my stash.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You got a game with the subscription??? Hell, it would have cost a LOT less to just pick up the subscription than go get the game (I remember poor mom shelling over $70 for SMB3).

As an aside, Dragon Warrior is a true masterpiece, top 5 NES material for sure.

I forgot about the cartoons. Nester stands out to me though. The mags had a lot of good features. I even liked the high-score lists because I liked seeing how I compared to others (and it sure wasn't great). I loved seeing guides for certain levels in games also, and a lot of them did in fact benefit me quite a bit. I still had a bunch of old Nintendo Powers... I might have to dig them out sometime.