Nikon Announces Mirrorless V1 & J1 Cameras

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Following weeks of speculation, Nikon has today announced its "Nikon 1" camera system, featuring a mirrorless design and compact size. As with most MILCs (mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras), Nikon has designed its "1" cameras to sit between point-and-shoots and DSLRs with the goal of being compact while still offering DSLR-like qualities.

nikon_v1_092111_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
>> the promise of full resolution continuous shooting of 60 FPS [...] the 13.2mm x 8.8mm sensor is 10.1MP, resulting in image sizes of 3872x2592

*drools heavily*

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No kidding. I almost feel like there's a caveat I glossed over, but looking over the respective specs pages, I can't see one.

I remember when 3FPS was impressive...

marfig

No ROM battery
And the cool thing is that this is almost certainly a camera format others will want to imitate. I don't expect these prices to stay like this for long.

In any case I would probably gladly payed that price an year ago. It doesn't beat my own Canon Rebel T3i. But when I bought it at close to 900 USD, if this thing was on the stand I could be swayed over to it. The only thing I'm not liking about it is the lackluster design. But that's something I could overlook.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
And the cool thing is that this is almost certainly a camera format others will want to imitate. I don't expect these prices to stay like this for long.

But who would imitate an imitation? Pretty much Olympus' baby. Which in turn they like to replace models every other day with. Their original pen camera is now like 300 bucks.

I just hope they bring full support for AF-S lenses, I would expect to not have focus on the rest of the AF lot of course. Not what a normal person would want from it but being broke I am not buying too many lenses meant for it.

300px-Olympus_Pen_img_3486.jpg

The original 2009 olympus model. Mind you they never built in the EVF. It was an addon for the next models after it. Olympus went Leica style, panasonic of course being a 4/3 partner has a model or two as well. The auto turn off for the screen is a carry over feature from Nikon's dSLR's.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
When I read that they were supposed to be positioned between P&S and DSLR cameras I was thinking, "Alright! A price point I can handle!"

When I opened the article I was like :D and then I was like :confused: and then I was like :(