Mobo: Biostar TA890GXB HD $50
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 $88
Ram: OCZ Gold 1066 2x2 Gb $30
GPU: Nvidia 8600 GT OCed $10
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM $29
CD/DVD: LG OEM Reader/Writer Lightscribe $20
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power $60
Case: APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC Mid Tower Gaming Case $35
Total: $322 (Really a bit more after shipping and tax)

The CD/DVD, PSU, Case, and HDD are all shipping from Newegg. Not bad for just a cheap gaming build, its just pretty much basic on the gpu till it gets an upgrade (likely after the ATI 6k series is out)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Haha. I'm amazed that this was built for just over 300 dollars. That's actually really awesome. Kudos for getting a quality PSU.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
My only comment would be the Biostar motherboard.... Biostar are... how to put this.... temperamental? You may experience a few random glitches and such, or the sound or NIC just give up, or other strange behaviour. Might be lucky and everything's fine, have to wait and see.

And $10 for a 8600GT.... ebay i presume, lol. The final price is probably closer to $370 after shipping and tax i guess.... or $570 after the 6 series comes out, lol

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Its actually $347.27 after shipping and tax, the mobo and cpu were local so no shipping but tax, the mobo was also $40 off. The psu was on sale for $90 but till the 27th it has a $30 off coupon the 8600GT is mine (I am building it for my cousin) so I sold em my old DDR3 and 8600 for cheap. The GPU also wont likely be a 6 series, probably a 5 series but after the 6 is out so the prices drop, cant very well sell a 5750 for 130 and a 6750 for 150 or 130 :p

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
You can find a good Gigabyte or MSI board for about that price and I would put my faith in them more than Biostar although they have stepped up their game recently.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Eh from reviews it seems like a good board maybe not the best overclocker but decent and since it was local there were not many choices :p Personally I would like to get the ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme board that has the lucid chip on it.

Last edited: