New modder competition site, from MaximumPC

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Hey guys!

I have a few rigs involved in this months round of competition. 2 of the 3 stand decent chances, my 3rd rig (DSF) is against 100years of Harley (one of *my* favorite rigs) from mnpctech, and as such I expect that one to fall by the wayside... ;)

But if you guys have not voted yet, dont forget to do so! If you did not know about the site, go check it out! It's a pretty cool concept!

http://modshop.net/

get out there and cast your votes! You could be the ones who decide the fate of some lucky modder! ;)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Round 3 is a knife fight guys.... several of the current battles are still "Too close to call".... if you are registered over there, please dont forget to go over and vote!
:)

moon111

Coastermaker
Is it just me or do winning designs seem to always have sculpted foam/bondo on them? Flat panels etc... doesn't cut it

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I think you are somewhat correct. PC modders have stepped into crafting and modeling on some of their builds.

My current build, I am working on, I am trying to learn proper airbrush technique.

I'm still a fan of a case being a case, I just want that case to still be recognizable and look as good as it can! ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm still a fan of a case being a case, I just want that case to still be recognizable and look as good as it can! ;)

I agree with you there. Comprehensive mods are fantastic, but if it takes more than an hour to swap out a component, something is wrong ;)

Speaking of, CPU had a cool one last month, a fiberglass person with blue/red coolant running through the "veins". It was great, but I still couldn't imagine having that in my computer room.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
the manequin mods started out of Japan with anime characters fleshed out of foam and then painted. That one was definately pretty cool. CPU has opened itself up now to mods that are "out of the box", which while very cool and open minded of them, puts modders like me in a tight spot to try and submit to them.

OOTB mods are uber creative and very difficult for a modder like me to "compete" with. Not bitching or anything... I'm very happy to see CPU putting them up on their cover! They have missed a ton of custom mods because of that restriction in the past.

Just means that much more if you get chosen, as you were not only selected over the computer mods, but you were also chosen over the OOTB mods! It'll have to be something *very* special to get on the cover now.

:)

(runs back out in the garage)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
i think if they just limited size it would be ok for those who dont do ootb... the whole ootb is kinda uncool for some.

A fleshed out mannequin that is as big as a common pc... now that would be interesting.

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Kick ass! just made it to the 4th round, top 8!
I am now against the Juggernaut that is Sangaku...
If it was anyone else but my Boss rig, I'd vote for his... but not now.

Sangaku came in 2nd place last tourney... loosing to the Doom3 mod. This is going to be a stretch, because I know how good that damn rig is!

Have to hope that there are more gear heads in the voting mix than there are finesse/elegance types... ;)

So, round 4 is up! Go vote!
;)

moon111

Coastermaker
My ranking of the projects.

Project Nighthawk
CPU Stingray
Boss-FX-57 -Would of been my #1 had it been a Mopar inspired creation :)
Home Sweet Home
Sangaku
Hypercube
Cold Fusion
Max PC

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
HOLY smokes!
1 vote people.. 1 vote! 53-52, I beat Sangaku!!!
WOW!!!

For those that voted for me, thank you. For those that Voted for Sangaku, I will do my best to represent on the next round.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
WOW!
Final round folks! Me and deathstarchris's MaxPC "Hulk mod"

Talk about 2 different mods ending up on the final round!!
;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Merlin, thank you!
*note*
Lead change!!!
Oh my....

I just lost the lead! ;)

Well, runner up is not bad at all.
That green thing didn't even look like a computer....just parts and wires.

Merlin the Master of Partitions

Last edited: