Need a TV? Now is the Time to Buy

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
For those seeking out a brand-new flat-screen TV, early January may seem like the best time of year to purchase, but not so. Instead, it seems like the best time of year to purchase a TV is right before, or after, the Super Bowl. Seems a bit silly, but when you look at the facts, it does seem to make sense.

tv_prices_cnn_money_020411.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

killem2

Coastermaker
Typical technology deflation :) I am so glad I told my inner voice in 2003 to shut up and not buy a big screen. Spent only 300.00 on my phillips 32 inch. I would have liked to have had a 40 inch or bigger but just couldn't scrap that much money together for one.

eunoia

Partition Master
Got mine on a Black Friday price error at sears.ca, at a price that probably won't be beat in 2011.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Black Friday till the end of January are the best times for deals on TVs. The Superbowl is simply the last chance for manufacturers and retailers to clear out last year's stock so they can bring in this year's models... they're just like cars, new models every year and last year models get a big chunk dropped off their price tags.

Talked my father into finally getting an HDTV himself since his passion is NCAA football and his small CRT made it impossible for him to read scrolling text or even game scores. He got the closest model to mine since they change each year, and I was floored to see just how big one year made on the price, a few features notwithstanding.

Got mine on a Black Friday price error at sears.ca, at a price that probably won't be beat in 2011.

Be careful with what your say... I've seen a few model HDTVs reach their Black Friday prices at stores, at least those that weren't cleared out completely!

eunoia

Partition Master
Be careful with what your say... I've seen a few model HDTVs reach their Black Friday prices at stores, at least those that weren't cleared out completely!

I know to be careful, just looking at bills for past electronics and computer purchases is a sobering experience for anyone on a budget. Think of what you paid for your first computer, microwave and videotape player. :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I know to be careful, just looking at bills for past electronics and computer purchases is a sobering experience for anyone on a budget. Think of what you paid for your first computer, microwave and videotape player. :D

Or first laptop... just a fraction of the price paid for mine would be a hugely capable system today, it's so saddening in a way!

More as to the topic though, I've seen two deals that beat the best deal I could find on my father's 50" plasma by $100 already, apparently post-Superbowl is definitely the best time to buy last year's models. The Black Friday price for the particular set by comparison was higher than both just for comparison.