Moving Your 'Non-Movable' Android Apps to an SD Card

U

Unregistered

I was able to move facebook

oh and btw I was also able to move facebook to sd card. :) I haven't used it yet since the move so hopefully it will run just as good as it did on my phone. If not I can just move it back to my phone! thanks again

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm glad the tutorial helped! I'm impressed that Facebook could be moved, and I'm now left confused as to why I haven't been able to do that on my own phone. I've given up on it though, and am just never going to make the mistake of owning a phone with so little internal memory again.

U

Unregistered

Not so luckey

I got all the way to the setInstallLocation command and it returns a killed message and does not apply the change. Sounds like I will be reading up on root options....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with that error, to be honest. You might want to test it out in another computer, or it could just be a limitation of the phone - something that rooting should fix (though I am not certain there either).

U

Unregistered

Some of the apps can't be moved

Hi, i tried this method but some of the apps still can’t be moved? why is that?

U

Unregistered

Can't set location

As reported by another user, I'm able to connect and execute the commands, but my phone refuses to change the location. I suspect it's a firmware issue; I have a no-contract Android (LG "Optimus Q" VS700).

Here's a screen cap of the session...
--------------------------------------------------------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
A0000031702A26 device

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm getInstal
lLocation
0[auto]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm setInstal
lLocation 2
[1] Killed pm setInstallLoc...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm getInstal
lLocation
0[auto]
...as you can see, it connects correctly, but appears to refuse the "pm setInstallLocation" command.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As reported by another user, I'm able to connect and execute the commands, but my phone refuses to change the location. I suspect it's a firmware issue; I have a no-contract Android (LG "Optimus Q" VS700).

That's unfortunate. Are you certain that you installed the exact SDK to match your phone's Android version? I recently performed this trick on another phone, a 4.0 ICS-based one, and it worked just fine (but I don't think it would have worked had I not had the proper SDK version installed).

U

Unregistered

List of devices attached
A0000031702A26 device

lLocation
0[auto]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm setInstal
lLocation 2

lLocation
0[auto]
...as you can see, it connects correctly, but appears to refuse the "pm setInstallLocation" command.

I have the same phone - same problem. Any workarounds.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have the same phone - same problem. Any workarounds.

Did you try using the alternate commands?

adb shell pm get-install-location

adb shell pm set-install-location 2

I have major doubts that's the issue but you never know. Quick Google searches tell me that phone is a pain.

U

Unregistered

same issue

List of devices attached
A0000031702A26 device

lLocation
0[auto]

lLocation 2

lLocation
0[auto]

I have the same issue, even after rooting the phone

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much

Just followed your tutorial on Galaxy S Gio (with only 180 K of phone memory) and it worked great. Moved Facebook and WhatsApp which took almost all of it.
Many thanks