Moving Your 'Non-Movable' Android Apps to an SD Card

Discussion in 'Reviews and Articles (Archived)' started by Rob Williams, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I was able to move facebook

oh and btw I was also able to move facebook to sd card. :) I haven't used it yet since the move so hopefully it will run just as good as it did on my phone. If not I can just move it back to my phone! thanks again

2. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    I'm glad the tutorial helped! I'm impressed that Facebook could be moved, and I'm now left confused as to why I haven't been able to do that on my own phone. I've given up on it though, and am just never going to make the mistake of owning a phone with so little internal memory again.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Not so luckey

I got all the way to the setInstallLocation command and it returns a killed message and does not apply the change. Sounds like I will be reading up on root options....

4. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    I am not familiar with that error, to be honest. You might want to test it out in another computer, or it could just be a limitation of the phone - something that rooting should fix (though I am not certain there either).

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Some of the apps can't be moved

Hi, i tried this method but some of the apps still can’t be moved? why is that?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Can't set location

As reported by another user, I'm able to connect and execute the commands, but my phone refuses to change the location. I suspect it's a firmware issue; I have a no-contract Android (LG "Optimus Q" VS700).

Here's a screen cap of the session...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    A0000031702A26 device

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm getInstal
    lLocation
    0[auto]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm setInstal
    lLocation 2
    [1] Killed pm setInstallLoc...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell pm getInstal
    lLocation
    0[auto]
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ...as you can see, it connects correctly, but appears to refuse the "pm setInstallLocation" command.

7. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    That's unfortunate. Are you certain that you installed the exact SDK to match your phone's Android version? I recently performed this trick on another phone, a 4.0 ICS-based one, and it worked just fine (but I don't think it would have worked had I not had the proper SDK version installed).

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have the same phone - same problem. Any workarounds.

9. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    Did you try using the alternate commands?

adb shell pm get-install-location

adb shell pm set-install-location 2

I have major doubts that's the issue but you never know. Quick Google searches tell me that phone is a pain.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

same issue

I have the same issue, even after rooting the phone

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks so much

Just followed your tutorial on Galaxy S Gio (with only 180 K of phone memory) and it worked great. Moved Facebook and WhatsApp which took almost all of it.
    Many thanks