Missing my System32 folder!?!

U

Unregistered

np but

ur welcome, but i still cannot see the folder so plz help

U

Unregistered

by the way

i also ran disk fixer in my fix-it-utilities program and found several errors which i took a screen shot off and repaire. it prompted me to run a CHKDSK on my system which i did, but still the system32 folder does not display. unfortunately i do not have a sfc.exe file (system file checker) as i am on windows 2000 pro.

i am running out of options here.

Greg214

Obliviot
hi

hi i am the person who posted info about virus i jus registered here in hopes to help find solution to system32 folder not being displayed.

Greg214

Obliviot
I fixed it

thanks to a friend in another forum i managed to fix the problem, but i wanted to tell everyone here how i did it.

Open dos command prompt and type: attrib -a -h -r -s c:\windows\system32

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh geez!

Something so simple.. how could that not even of crossed my mind :|

Glad to hear you got it working, and wasn't too much trouble to do so.

waylandprod

Obliviot
Very Careful..... There is more.....

The NTDVM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction for regedit in the run line is also a byproduct of this virus. BUT NORTON COULDN"T FIX IT!!! If you have system32 hidden from view even after you obviously enabled it to be viewed, the files inside need to do so as well.

Go to Run and type in Cmd.exe
(Cmd.exe because a bad cmd.com is in your system32 folder) Then type in:
attirb -a -h -r -s c:\windows\system32\*.*

That will make all the files visible. Why should ANY file be hidden, unless it wants to remain that way. Hmm..... Here is a list of the evil inside I got from Norton.... even though they couldn't find them, until I went and made all visible.
EVIL FILES:
:mad: ping.com, netstat.com, regedit.com, tasklist.com, taskkill.com, tracert.com, cmd.com, and ansmtp.dll:mad:

Trust me, viruses are getting smarter, so sometimes you have to be smarter than norton. Then again I have 2004 version, but it's updated. Maybe I should buy the new 2006 when it comes out. That is a consideration.

There are a few registry items that came up as well to fix from Norton's article:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.picrate.a@mm.html

Keep in mind that if regedit.com is still there, type in Regedit.exe.

So much evil in the world, just thought I might make a contribution in the fight against it, so I am posting for the first time.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums!

I personally enjoy McAfee much more than Norton, but the 2006 version has me wanting to try it. There is a lot of evil in the world. It sucks, but Ad-Aware is just as important as Virus scanning now.